37 suspected gang members arrested in connection with Homa Bay chaos

The National Police Service (NPS) has arrested 37 suspected gang members in connection with the chaos witnessed during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay County on Sunday, August 16, 2026.
In an update issued on Monday, August 17, the NPS said the suspects were arrested as investigations and operations continued following criminal incidents reported during the political gathering.
The police said the security deployment for the rally was coordinated by the Nyanza Regional Police Commander based on the nature and anticipated requirements of the event.
However, the Service said several criminal incidents were recorded, including an attack on journalists who were performing their lawful duties, damage to five police vehicles deployed for public order maintenance and destruction of several civilian vehicles.
The NPS also reported that one police vehicle lost control, resulting in the death of its driver and injuries to five other officers.
According to the police, 37 suspected gang members have so far been arrested and were found in possession of various crude weapons.
The items recovered from the suspects included machetes, ropes, metal rods, knives, rungus, batons and torches.
The suspects are expected to be processed in accordance with the law and face the consequences of their alleged actions.
The NPS also said three police officers were injured on August 15 during the arrest of 15 suspected gang members along the Kisumu-Kericho Road.
This brought the total number of police officers injured in incidents linked to Kisumu and Homa Bay to eight, in addition to one officer who sustained fatal injuries in Homa Bay.
The Service conveyed its condolences to the family and friends of the deceased officer while wishing the injured officers a speedy recovery.
The NPS said investigations were continuing as officers pursued other individuals suspected to have participated in the violence.
Among those being sought is Oliver Jaoko, alias “Olivertti”, whom police said is currently at large.
The Service directed Jaoko to surrender to the nearest police station to assist with ongoing investigations.
“Those who recruit, finance, mobilise, arm or otherwise facilitate criminal elements to cause violence and disorder will be pursued and brought to justice,” the NPS said.
Police said operations aimed at apprehending Jaoko and other individuals linked to the violence were ongoing.
The NPS issued a strong warning to criminal gangs, their organisers, facilitators and sponsors against exploiting political activities to perpetrate violence, intimidate members of the public, attack police officers or destroy property.
The Service said no individual, regardless of their position, influence or political affiliation, should mistake its commitment to facilitating peaceful assembly for weakness or an unwillingness to enforce the law.
The NPS further warned that those found to have facilitated criminal activities would be held accountable.
“The NPS remains resolute in fulfilling its constitutional mandate of enforcing the law and dealing firmly with all forms of criminality, including activities involving criminal gangs and goons,” the statement said.
The police also reminded political actors intending to organise public rallies that such gatherings must be conducted within the prescribed hours of 6am to 6pm.
Political organisers were further reminded to provide the requisite notification to police to allow adequate security planning and deployment.
The NPS urged all political actors across the divide to conduct themselves with decorum, restraint and respect for the law.
The Service said it remained committed to maintaining law and order, protecting life and property and safeguarding every citizen’s constitutional right to peaceful assembly.
