Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    TECHNOLOGY

    Nigerian Rights Group Seeking to Compel Gov’t to Make Public Twitter Restoration Agreement

    Francis MuliBy Francis MuliFebruary 14, 2022Updated:February 14, 2022No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    A Nigerian Rights Group has moved to the High Court, seeking to compel the government to reveal details that led to the restoration of social media giant Twitter in the country.

    The Socio Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) filed a lawsuit seeking to compel President Muhammadu Buhari to publish a copy of the agreement that led to the lifting of the six-month Twitter ban in the country.

    The Nigerian government suspended the social media network after the company deleted a tweet by President Buhari. Last month, the ban which had been in effect for six months was lifted after Twitter agreed to meet a number of conditions set by the government.

    Read: Uganda Orders Internet Service Providers To Block All Social Media Platforms Ahead Of Elections

    Among the conditions was the set-up of a local office in the West African country and an agreement to collaborate with the Nigerian government to develop a code of conduct. SERAP now wants the Buhari and Information Minister Lai Mohammed to make public the details of the agreement to ensure that the citizens’ freedom of expression will not be curtailed.

    “Publishing the agreement would enable Nigerians to scrutinise it, seek legal remedies as appropriate, and ensure that the conditions for lifting the suspension of Twitter are not used as pretexts to suppress legitimate discourse,” a copy of the court challenge said.

    According to the rights organization, the government ignored a request to have the agreement details published in January.

    Read also: Kenya Denies Involvement in Arrest, Deportation of Nigerian Separatist Leader Kanu

    Last year, various rights groups and a section of members of the House of Representatives Joint Committee on Information, Justice, and Communication criticized the ban, saying it was meant to stifle free speech. They said the country was taking a step towards autocracy.

    The Court of Justice of the Economic Community of West African States is expected to make a decision on SERAP’s challenge to the Twitter ban this week. The government however wants the case thrown out, claiming that it has been overtaken by events.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@kahawatungu.com or WhatsAmupp +254707482874. You can also find us on Telegram through www.t.me/kahawatungu

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Twitter
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Francis Muli
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Follow me on Twitter @francismuli_ Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    10 Questions for an SEO Agency in Singapore Before Hiring Them

    August 18, 2026

    NCIC condemns political violence in Homa Bay

    August 17, 2026

    If Meta loses this trial, Instagram and Facebook could change forever

    August 17, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Russell on pole position for Dutch GP sprint race

    August 21, 2026

    Ethiopia’s Virgin Mary festival in Tigray cancelled over drone strike fears

    August 21, 2026

    Ex-Abercrombie & Fitch chief fit to stand trial in sex trafficking case, judge says

    August 21, 2026

    Three youths shot during Stawisha meeting in Mombasa

    August 21, 2026

    Little evidence recovered from Samburu chopper crash site, officials say

    August 21, 2026

    Pakistan ex-PM Imran Khan back in jail after hospital examination

    August 21, 2026

    Prince Harry and six others ordered to pay initial £9.5m to Daily Mail publisher

    August 21, 2026

    Corruption charges dropped against South Africa’s police intelligence boss

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.