Departing flights at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) were Monday affected by delays following an ongoing labour dispute between the Kenya Aviation Workers Union (KAWU) and the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority (KCAA).
The Kenya Airports Authority (KAA) said contingency measures had been activated to minimise disruptions and maintain safety standards at the country’s main gateway.
“Passengers are advised to contact their respective airlines for scheduled updates,” said Acting Chief Executive Officer Dr. Mohamud Gedi.
The authority reiterated its commitment to ensuring safety and operational excellence across all airports under its management, even as efforts continue to address the labour dispute.
JKIA is the country’s busiest airport and a key regional hub, handling thousands of passengers daily. Travellers have been urged to allow extra time for processing and to monitor communication from their airlines for any changes to departure times.
Further updates are expected as negotiations progress.
KCAA Sunday assured airline operators and travelers that operations will be normal at the country’s airports. This was after court suspended a planned strike.
This came as those planning the strike claimed they had not been served with the order and vowed to continue with their plans.
KCAA Director General Emile Arao said the planned industrial aviation was put on hold by the Employment and Labour Relations court on Friday following an application by the agency.
The agency said the Court directed that, until the matter is heard and determined, any strike action that may interfere with the Authority’s statutory responsibilities should not proceed.
“KCAA understands that this situation may raise concerns among passengers, airline partners, employees, and the wider public. We wish to reassure all stakeholders that aviation operations remain normal, safe, and uninterrupted,” Arao said in a statement.
The KCAA boss said the Authority continues to discharge its mandate diligently to ensure the safety, security, and efficiency of civil aviation in Kenya while being committed to dialogue.
Arao added that the KCAA values respectful dialogue and remains committed to engaging constructively and in good faith through established lawful and consultative mechanisms.
“KCAA firmly believes that sustainable solutions are best achieved through structured engagement within the constitutional and statutory framework governing labour relations,” he added.
Despite the court directives, Kenya Airport Workers Union (KAWU) Secretary General Moss Ndiema, on Saturday, 14, said that all workers in the union at the region’s largest aviation hub will be mobilised for the Industrial action.
“Industrial action is 99 per cent as we speak and we are not asking for impossible things, we are not asking for wealth or richness. For an employee whose pay has not been reviewed for the past 12 or 15 years how do you expect them to leave,” said Ndiema.
Among the concerns the union has been pushing to be addressed is the implementation of Collective Bargaining Agreements, salary reviews and placing contractual employees under the pensionable terms.
On Friday, Justice Agnes Nzei of the ELRC in Milimani, Nairobi, certified the KCAA application as urgent and directed that the strike notice served by the KAWU on February 9 this year should not be acted upon until the case is heard.
“Pending hearing and determination of the application inter partes, an interim order be and is hereby issued restraining the Respondent, its agents and servants from declaring a strike which interferes with KCAA’s primary functions towards the regulation and oversight of Aviation Safety and Security, Economic Regulation of Air Services and development of Civil Aviation in Kenya,” the judge directed.
The case is scheduled for mention on February 26, 2026, when the Court is expected to give further directions.
Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

