Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Student death puts French far-left under pressure

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiFebruary 16, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Student death puts French far-left under pressure
    Student death puts French far-left under pressure
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    France’s radical left is under pressure after the killing of a student in Lyon was blamed on “anti-fascist” militants.

    Quentin Deranque, a 23-year-old maths student and nationalist activist, died on Saturday, two days after being beaten up on the street by a group of young men.

    On Thursday afternoon he had given support to a hard-right feminist collective Némésis, which staged a small protest against a left-wing politician’s visit to Lyon’s Institute of Political Studies (IEP), commonly known as Sciences-Po.

    Mobile phone video footage taken a few streets away from the protest’s location showed three young men being kicked and punched by a larger group. One person – who may be Deranque – remains lying on the ground.

    A short time later Deranque was found wandering in a state of confusion. He was suffering from a cerebral haemorrhage and taken to hospital, where he died on Saturday afternoon.

    Ministers from President Emmanuel Macron’s centre-right government blamed “far-left” militants for the killing.

    Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez said: “Manifestly it was the far-left that was at work … This was a mob-killing, with blows that the perpetrators probably did not intend to be fatal.”

    According to Justice Minister Gérald Darmanin, “it is the far-left that killed him. Of that there is no question.”

    In a tense political atmosphere ahead of important municipal elections next month, all eyes on Monday were on the radical left party France Unbowed (LFI) and a banned security outfit La Jeune Garde (Young Guard) that in the past helped provide protection at its rallies.

    Members from the Némésis collective – whose demonstration on Thursday was against a meeting given by LFI euro-deputy Rima Hassan – said they recognised activists from La Jeune Garde in the group that initially disrupted their protest.

    La Jeune Garde was created in 2018 by Raphaël Arnault, who is now one of LFI’s 71 deputies in the National Assembly. It was banned last year following accusations of fomenting violence. The group has denied involvement.

    Hassan on Friday condemned the incident and called for an investigation. In a post on X, she said LFI provided the only security protection for her during the visit and that they were “in no way” involved in the violence.

    The Deranque family’s lawyer, Fabrice Rajon, said Deranque “was not a security agent or the member of any kind of protection group.

    “He had never been involved in trouble … He defended his convictions in a non-violent way.”
    Friends told French media that Deranque had rediscovered his Catholic faith in recent years and was active in nationalist politics.

    Alice Cordier, of Némésis, said Deranque was one of “15 or so young boys” who the collective asked to provide protection at their demonstration.

    “It wasn’t a professional security service, just friends who came to protect the girls.”
    With accounts of the incident varying – some speaking of a “brawl”, others of an “ambush” and a “lynching” – the Lyon prosecutor’s office was due to give a first non-partisan assessment of what happened at a news conference on Monday afternoon.

    Right-wing politicians were outspoken in their denunciation of LFI, saying it had a clear responsibility for encouraging violence by so-called “antifa” – anti-fascist militants.
    Euro-deputy Marion Maréchal – niece of National Rally leader Marine Le Pen – said: “The militia of [LFI leader Jean-Luc] Mélenchon has killed and has blood on its hands.”

    According to Laurent Wauquiez, parliamentary leader of the centre-right Republicans: “Quentin fell beneath the blows of monsters guided by hate and blinded by violence.”

    Bruno Retailleau, who last week declared himself a candidate for the Republicans in next year’s presidential elections, said: “Jean-Luc Mélenchon … contrary to what you claim, it is not the police that kills in France, it is the far-left.”

    On Sunday Mélenchon said his party had “nothing to do with this story. Those who accuse us are committing a libel.

    “We express our consternation, but also our empathy and compassion for [Deranque’s] family and friends. We have said dozens of times that we oppose all forms of violence.”

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Navalny’s mother says she always knew he was murdered after poison finding

    February 16, 2026

    X down for hundreds: users unable to access accounts

    February 16, 2026

    ByteDance to curb AI video app after Disney legal threat

    February 16, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Navalny’s mother says she always knew he was murdered after poison finding

    February 16, 2026

    Student death puts French far-left under pressure

    February 16, 2026

    South African trio charged with Bolt driver’s murder filmed on dashcam

    February 16, 2026

    Court to rule on Waititu application on review of his bail terms 

    February 16, 2026

    Group sues for installation of disability-friendly infrastructure at the Milimani Law Courts

    February 16, 2026

    Conleth Hill Siblings: Getting to Know Ronan Hill

    February 16, 2026

    X down for hundreds: users unable to access accounts

    February 16, 2026

    IPOA Launches Probe Into Kitengela Rally Where One Person Was Killed

    February 16, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.