Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    TSA says PreCheck and Global Entry programs ‘operational’ after DHS suspension, sparking confusion

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiFebruary 22, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    TSA says PreCheck and Global Entry programs ‘operational’ after DHS suspension, sparking confusion
    TSA says PreCheck and Global Entry programs ‘operational’ after DHS suspension, sparking confusion
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Transportation Security Administration said Sunday the PreCheck and Global Entry programs are “operational with no change for the traveling public,” sparking confusion for travelers after the Department of Homeland Security had said it was temporarily halting the programs.

    TSA “will evaluate on a case by case basis and adjust operations” according to staffing changes, a spokesperson for the agency told CNN on Sunday.

    DHS had said in a statement earlier in the day said the programs, which are among the most widely used trusted-traveler programs in the US, would shut down at 6 a.m. ET amid a partial government shutdown.

    But as of Sunday morning, travelers were still able to pass through lines servicing both TSA PreCheck and Global Entry at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport and Dulles Airport near Washington, DC.

    DHS Secretary Kristi Noem had said in a statement to CNN TSA and Customs and Border Protection “are focusing on the general traveling public at our airports and ports of entry.”

    “Shutdowns have serious real-world consequences, not just for the men and women of DHS and their families who go without a paycheck, but it endangers our national security,” the statement added. The Washington Post first reported on the measures.

    The move would be a significant escalation in how the DHS shutdown would impact travelers, effectively dismantling expedited airport security lanes and fast‑track customs processing relied on by millions of frequent flyers who are US citizens or legal permanent residents as well as international passengers from more than 20 countries.

    The confusion comes during a partial government shutdown affecting only DHS, after Congress failed to reach a funding agreement amid a standoff over immigration enforcement policy.

    Democrats have pushed for new restrictions on agencies including Immigration and Customs Enforcement and CBP after the fatal shooting of two US citizens by federal officers in Minneapolis earlier this year. Republicans have largely opposed the proposed changes, while pressing Democrats to agree to measures such as stricter enforcement against so‑called sanctuary cities.

    DHS also said it is suspending all courtesy and family escorts at airports for members of Congress, saying that service “is drawing staff away from the critical mission of getting passengers screened.” TSA said the escort service was “suspended to allow officers to focus on the mission of securing America’s skies,” in a statement Sunday.

    Meanwhile, DHS employees deemed essential, including an estimated 63,000TSA agents, have continued working without pay.

    Noem: ‘Tough but necessary decisions’

    “The American people depend on this department every day, and we are making tough but necessary workforce and resource decisions to mitigate the damage inflicted by these politicians,” Noem added in the DHS statement.

    Democrats on the House Homeland Security Committee have condemned on social media the move to suspend these programs, accusing DHS’ leadership of “punishing travelers” and “ruining your travel on purpose.”
    US Travel Association President and CEO Geoff Freeman said in a statement his organization was “disgusted” that “Democrats and Republicans have used air traffic controllers, TSA, CBP and the entire travel experience as a means to achieve political ends.”

    “Travelers should be prioritized, not leveraged,” Freeman wrote. “Travel is the gateway to the American economy and Americans should not have their mobility, security or travel experience diminished because elected leaders fail to resolve their differences.”

    Airlines for America President and CEO Chris Sununu said the programs were being “used as a political football amid another government shutdown,” adding that “the announcement was issued with extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly(.)”

    What would immediately change for travelers?

    The suspension of TSA PreCheck lanes at US airports would require enrolled travelers to use standard security screening. It’s uncertain how international passengers returning or entering the US through Global Entry will be impacted as most of this process is done at automated kiosks. The eventual disruptions are likely to increase wait times at customs and passport control.

    CNN has also reached out to the three TSA PreCheck providers processing enrollments as their websites still seem to be accepting applications.

    TSA PreCheck, which costs between $76.75 and $85 for a five‑year membership, surpassed 20 million active members in 2024, according to TSA.

    More than 12 million travelers are enrolled in Global Entry, according to CBP. The program charges a $120 application fee, also for a five-year membership.

    Together, DHS trusted-traveler programs cover more than 40 million vetted airline passengers, according to TSA.

    While previous government shutdowns disrupted enrollment operations and led to longer airport lines, TSA PreCheck lanes and Global Entry kiosks remained open. The current DHS plan would mark the first known nationwide suspension of the programs’ benefits during a shutdown.

    During last year’s record shutdown, the programs were not formally suspended, but staffing shortages contributed to longer security lines, temporary checkpoint closures at some airports, and lingering flight delays and cancellations as congestion spread across the US air travel system.

    By CNN

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Mexico’s most wanted drug lord ‘El Mencho’ killed in military operation

    February 22, 2026

    NFL wide receiver Rondale Moore found dead at 25

    February 22, 2026

    Armed man shot and killed after entering secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, Secret Service says

    February 22, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Mexico’s most wanted drug lord ‘El Mencho’ killed in military operation

    February 22, 2026

    NFL wide receiver Rondale Moore found dead at 25

    February 22, 2026

    UDA suspends grassroots meetings in Gusii ahead of opposition tour

    February 22, 2026

    TSA says PreCheck and Global Entry programs ‘operational’ after DHS suspension, sparking confusion

    February 22, 2026

    DCI probes killing of man during ODM faction in Mbale, Vihiga County

    February 22, 2026

    Armed man shot and killed after entering secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, Secret Service says

    February 22, 2026

    MP Karauri declares Nairobi governor bid as 2027 race heats up

    February 22, 2026

    Demand Rises for Certified Online Qur’an Teachers

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.