Police recovered Sh2.615 million in Kenyan currency and a large quantity of suspected US dollar notes from two safe boxes found inside a Toyota Land Cruiser Prado in Uasin Gishu County.
The two safe boxes were opened on Monday at Sugunanga Police Station after investigators obtained a court order authorising the exercise.
The vehicle, a black Toyota Land Cruiser Prado had earlier been seized on August 10 in connection with an ongoing investigation.
This was after it was flagged down on the road. Two occupants on board managed to escape while one was arrested later on.
It is not clear where the suspects were taking the cash. The car was moved to the local police station pending investigations.
A team comprising officers from the National Police Service, Directorate of Criminal Investigations and officials from the State Department of Public Works and Urban Development conducted the exercise.
The Eldoret Law Courts had on August 12 issued an order in Miscellaneous Criminal Application authorising the Uasin Gishu County Public Works officer to facilitate the opening of the safe boxes and establish their contents.
Investigators said the two boxes contained Sh2,615,000 and what was reported as US$259 million in dollar-denominated notes. They are all believed to be fake.
The scene was processed and documented by Uasin Gishu Crime Scene Investigators. However, the authenticity of the suspected US currency had not been established by Tuesday.
Police said the notes would be taken to the Central Bank of Kenya for verification. One suspect, identified as 28-year-old Grayson Buchichi Isihau, has been arrested in connection with the case.
Police said he would be arraigned before the Eldoret Law Courts once investigations are completed. Further details are expected after the Central Bank completes verification of the recovered currency.
Preliminary investigations had shown the currency was fake. A team was pursuing more information on the currency to know where it originated.
This came as officials warned money handlers to be cautious of such currency in circulation.
The officials said they fear there could be more such fake currency in circulation hence the need to be cautious. Such money is usually flooded in the market ahead of elections.
Cases of fake currencies have been on the increase amid police operations to tame those behind the trend.
Dozens of suspects behind the manufacture of the fake papers have been arrested and charged in court.
The cases are in various stages. some of the suspects are involved are in fake gold business.
Meanwhile, detectives from the Operation Support Unit (OSU) recovered a massive consignment of goods suspected to have been stolen in an operation linked to an ongoing investigation into obtaining goods by false pretences.
The recovery follows the arraignment of a suspect Haren Kumar Damji Mandavia, who is facing charges of obtaining goods by false pretence contrary to Section 313 of the Penal Code.
On August 6, 2026, the Makadara Law Courts found that the prosecution had established compelling reasons to deny the accused bail, ordering that he remain in custody pending trial.
Acting on intelligence leads, detectives traced paint products allegedly obtained from the complainant through fraudulent transactions to a storage yard in the Marurui area along the Northern Bypass.
The complainant positively identified the recovered paint as part of the goods supplied through the alleged fraudulent scheme.
A thorough search of the premises uncovered an extensive cache of other items suspected to be stolen.
Among the recovered property were construction and industrial materials, including scaffolding equipment, steel rail bars, PPR pipes, SGR fence gates, metallic angle bars and block boards.
Detectives also recovered industrial lubricants, engine oils, solar batteries, motorcycle batteries, LED lighting equipment, wall-coating products, event décor equipment and household utensils.
The premises have since been secured as Crime Scene Investigations (CSI) personnel continue documenting exhibits and processing the scene.
Meanwhile, investigations are underway to establish the ownership of the storage yard and its possible links to the suspected criminal enterprise.
Preliminary investigations indicate that the accused and his associates could be part of a wider fraud syndicate believed to be behind similar cases reported across different parts of the country.
Detectives are now working closely with Regional Police Commanders and police stations nationwide to identify more victims, recover additional suspected stolen property and bring all those involved to justice.
Members of the public who may have lost property under similar circumstances are urged to report to the nearest Police Station.
Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

