Site icon KahawaTungu

Distressed Family Demands Answers After Son Mysteriously Dies In Nairobi Prison Cell


A family is demanding answers from the Prisons Department after their 27-year-old son mysteriously died while in custody.

According to reports, Mark Nyamweya died at the Industrial Area Prison last Tuesday after he failed to pay a Ksh200 fine to secure his release.

The police note that Nyamweya and five others were arraigned in Makadara court where they were charged with being drunk and disorderly.

Upon arraignment, Nyamweya pleaded guilty and was then fined Ksh200 with an alternative sentence of seven days in custody.

Mark Nyamwea who died at the Industrial Area Prison. /Courtesy

Read: Dennis Itumbi Reveals Heartbreaking Plight Of A Teenager Being Held At Muthaiga Police Station

However, the circumstances surrounding his death is what has left his relatives with more questions than answers.

Speaking on their distress, family spokesman Nelson Mageto questioned Kayole Soweto police why they only arraigned six individuals including Nyamweya to court despite arresting 42 others.

He later took to issue on the fact that the Soweto police failed to inform them of their nephew’s arrest until his demise.

Nyamwea is an orphan who lived with his brother, identified as Daniel.

According to the police, the deceased succumbed after developing stomach issues.

“He felt bad, complained of stomach problems. He was vomited and had diarrhea before he died,” an officer told the media.

Read also: Mombasa Police Arrest Eleven Girls Shooting Pornography In Posh House

Nyamweya’s accomplice James Ongondi who had been detained with him noted: “We were arrested last Saturday at 10 am. We were 43 at the time of arrest but others were released at the police station.”

Explaining how the deceased died, Ongondi mentioned: “A police officer brought him some drugs and water, which he took at around 12 am on Tuesday. At 4 am, he again started groaning in pain. He cried until around 5 am. We banged the door, but no officer responded.”

He later noted that at around 6 am an officer brought Nyamweya porridge which he took and later died.

Read also: Maimed Body Of Missing Egerton University Student Discovered In His House

Following the death, the family sought the intervention of the Independent Policing Oversight Authority who have since lamented that the officers at the station are not cooperative to divulge information.

Nairobi regional commander Phillip Ndolo stated that his office is not aware of the incident at the Industrial Police Station.

However, he asserted that they would investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of Nyamwea.

Email your news TIPS to or WhatsApp +254707482874. You can also find us on Telegram through

Exit mobile version