A miner who had intruded into a gold mining tunnel died after being trapped by a wall in Kitere, Rongo, Migori County.
Police and the site’s Chinese owners said a group of intruders had invaded their shaft via an illegal tunnel when the incident occurred on February 17.
The suspected accomplices of the deceased later ran riot at the site and destroyed property after learning about his death.
Police said the deceased, identified as Enock Omwami, 30, was not an employee at the site. The body was moved to the mortuary pending autopsy and investigations.
Cases of deaths at mining sites have been on the rise amid efforts to address the menace. Most of the mining sites are unsafe to venture into, officials say.
Elsewhere in Ndiru, Rangwe, Homa Bay County, a man was found drowned in River Tende. The body was identified as that of Christomo Otieno, 28. He had been missing from February 15 until after two days when the body was discovered and moved to the mortuary pending an autopsy.
In Elementaita area, Nakuru County, a two-year-old boy died in a fire incident.
His mother told police she had left him sleeping and went to open her nearby shop when she heard screams from locals who were trying to contain a fire that had broken out.
The cause of the fire was not immediately established. The body was picked up and moved to the mortuary pending an autopsy and other procedures into the Tuesday incident, police said.
In Awendo, Migori County, a 12-year-old boy sustained serious burns after he was electrocuted in an incident.
The boy was headed home from school when he was hit by a hanging live wire in the area. He was a grade three pupil at Yengu Academy. He was rushed to the hospital and admitted in a stable condition, officials said amid investigations into the incident.
Locals have complained Kenya Power officials never respond to incidents where poles with live wires fall after heavy rains hence exposing them to many dangers.
Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

