Site icon Kahawatungu

Kalonzo accuses police boss of defiance, demands accountability over church attack and Kitengela violence

Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka accused the Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja, of deliberately evading accountability after failing to appear and present a report on the violent attack at ACK Giitima Church.

Addressing supporters on Monday, February 16, Kalonzo said the Inspector General and his entire team failed to honour a formal summons to provide a full report on the church attack and steps taken to arrest those responsible.

“This was not a request. It was a constitutional obligation,” Kalonzo said, terming the police leadership’s absence as “a calculated choice” that signals silence over accountability and defiance over duty.

He argued that the National Police Service, funded by taxpayers, has chosen to “look the other way” in the face of constitutional violations.

He spoke in the company of other members of United Opposition outside Jogoo House where they had gone to see Kanja in vain.

Some leaders led by Edwin Sifuna were on Sunday teargassed during what was described as a peaceful rally in Kitengela.

According to Kalonzo, two people lost their lives while several others were injured during the confrontation.

He condemned the use of force against unarmed citizens exercising their constitutional right to assemble, describing it as “state-sponsored repression.”

“This is not policing,” he said. “Our national anthem declares that justice be our shield and defender, yet we witness justice denied and our people attacked for demanding their rights.”

Kalonzo further claimed the Inspector General had received instructions not to avail himself, though he did not provide evidence. He insisted that no office or political directive places anyone above the Constitution.

“The continued refusal to act on the violent attack at ACK Giitima Church, and the escalating attacks across our nation, confirms a deliberate strategy to shield perpetrators and normalize impunity,” he said.

Standing alongside leaders allied to the United Alternative Government coalition, Kalonzo reiterated what he termed a “non-negotiable demand” for accountability under the law.

He announced plans to return on Friday, February 20, 2026, to receive the report, warning that if impunity persists, they would mobilize Kenyans to demand accountability.

“This lawlessness will only be confronted by the collective action of citizens who refuse to surrender their democracy,” he said.

Kalonzo concluded by urging unity in defending constitutional freedoms, stating that Kenya must remain a nation governed by law, not fear.

“Justice is not optional; it is our right,” he said.

On Sunday, the National Police Service (NPS) issued a public update on the progress of investigations into recent security incidents, including events reported at Witima Church in Nyeri last month and other public gatherings across the country.

Police said investigations were initiated promptly upon receiving reports of alleged criminal activity and are being conducted strictly in accordance with the law.

According to the NPS, officers have recorded statements from relevant parties, reviewed available video footage, and analysed intelligence reports to establish the circumstances surrounding the incidents and identify any individuals responsible.

Police spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga noted that, as with all criminal investigations, the success and speed of the process depend significantly on formal reporting, detailed witness accounts, and cooperation from complainants and members of the public.

“While preliminary inquiries have been undertaken based on information in the public domain, comprehensive investigations require affected persons and witnesses to record official statements to enable evidence-based conclusions and possible prosecutions,” the statement said.

Police appealed to anyone with relevant information to come forward and assist investigating officers, emphasising that such cooperation is essential to ensure justice is not only pursued but demonstrably upheld.

During the event, several people were injured as police lobbed tear gas canisters into a church.

Reaffirming its commitment to impartiality and professionalism, the NPS stated that it serves all Kenyans without fear or favour and handles all security concerns — regardless of political, social, or religious context — with objectivity and in strict compliance with the Constitution.

Investigations remain active, with further updates expected as appropriate.

The Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops (KCCB) condemned what it described as rising violence and intimidation in the country, including attacks on churches.

“We are deeply concerned over increased violation of human rights, including excessive use of force by security agencies, arbitrary arrests, harassment of citizens and the shrinking of civic and democratic space.”

The bishops described  churches as sacred spaces that must be respected and called for thorough investigations into recent incidents, and action against those responsible and their financiers.

“We are particularly disturbed by incidents where peaceful gatherings, including places of worship, have been violated through violence and intimidation by hired goons in the presence of security officers,” they said in a statement dated Friday, February 13.

“Lobbing tear gas canisters at worshipers inside the Church is a gross violation of their constitutional right to worship provided under Article 32 of the Constitution of Kenya.”

The bishops said the use of force against unarmed citizens, including women, children and the elderly is unacceptable.

Their remarks come three weeks after an attack on former deputy president Rigathi Gachagua and other leaders during a service at Witima ACK Church in Nyeri.

No arrests have been made in connection with the incident since.

Exit mobile version