Man electrocuted while connecting power to newly constructed kiosk in Nyamira village

FILE IMAGE OF A POLICE LINE
A 69-year-old man was electrocuted while attempting to connect power to a newly constructed kiosk in Gachuba, Nyamira County.
Police and Kenya Power and Lighting officials said the incident happened on May 23 evening as Simon Obese tried to connect power to his structure.
His body was found next to a live naked wire that he was trying to use to connect the power.
He was rushed to a hospital in the area where he died on arrival.
Police said the body was moved to the mortuary pending an autopsy and other procedures.
Cases of electrocution have been on the rise in both urban and rural areas amid campaigns to address them.
Officials link the same to use of quacks for wiring and illegal power connections.
There is a campaign to address the menace that has claimed dozens of lives so far, officials said.
Meanwhile, seven cases of drowning were separately reported in the country on Saturday alone. The cases were reported in Busia, Muranga, Kajiado, Machakos, Siaya and Mombasa Counties.
Cases of drowning have in the past three months claimed more than 200 lives in the country. Most of them were linked to flooding due to heavy rains.
The flooding also displaced many and is still threatening others.
Among the most affected places was Nairobi where dozens of people were killed after floods. Property worth millions of shillings was destroyed in the incidents.
The latest such incident happened on Thursday May 21 in Sabaki area, Athi River where vehicles were damaged in flooding caused by heavy rains.
Roads have been rendered impassable in some places in parts of North Eastern due to the rains.
Most urban roads have developed portholes due to the rains experienced, officials say amid efforts for repairs.
