Matatu Strike: Roads Reopened in Some Areas as Police Contain Unrest

Traffic flow has been restored in several parts of the country even as disruptions persist following a nationwide matatu strike on Monday, May 18, 2026, triggered by protests over rising fuel prices.
Security agencies have been deployed across multiple counties to restore calm, clear road blockades and prevent further disruption of transport and economic activity, according to county commissioners and the National Police Service (NPS).
In Embu County, traffic resumed at Rupingazi Bridge along the Embu–Nairobi Highway after an earlier blockade was cleared. County Commissioner Jack Odhiambo said authorities were also responding to tensions along the Muthatari–Siakago Road.
In Mombasa, County Commissioner Mohamed Hassan said traffic was flowing normally along the Mombasa–Malindi Road after police contained an attempt to burn tyres on Old Malindi Road.
“Boda boda and tuk-tuk operators are keeping Mombasa transport moving,” Hassan said.
In Meru, County Commissioner John Cheruiyot said police cleared barricades on the Nkubu–Thingithu–Uruku Road and the Meru–Embu Highway.
In Kiambu, County Commissioner George Matundura said officers, led by the Officer Commanding Station (OCS) Kamwangi, dispersed crowds at Kamwangi Market and restored calm following a blockade in Gatundu North.
Transport was heavily affected along the Gilgil Highway in Nakuru County, where protesters blocked the road using burning tyres and makeshift barricades.
County Commissioner Layford Kibaara said security officers were deployed to restore order after transport was paralysed in Barnabas area, forcing commuters to walk.
“Police have cleared roads in Barnabas Area in Nakuru after transport had been paralysed and commuters forced to walk. Authorities are monitoring the situation,” he said.
In Nyandarua, County Commissioner Abdirizak Jaldesa said suspected goons allegedly from Laikipia set tyres ablaze in Mairo-Inya town, prompting a police operation to restore calm.
Laikipia County Commissioner Duncan Muyesu said transport had been paralysed in parts of the county, with major highways disrupted.
“Motorists are advised to avoid travel along Nyahururu–Rumuruti Highway and Lamuria Route,” he said.
In Nairobi, the Central Business District remained relatively calm, though Public Service Vehicles (PSVs) were notably scarce.
Nairobi North County Commissioner Simon Osumba said police responded to attempted road blockades along Kasarani–Mwiki Road, Outer Ring Road and Donholm areas.
In Busia County, traffic flow remained normal despite the strike, although some PSV operators suspended services.
County Commissioner Stephen Orinde said no demonstrations or road blockades had been recorded in the area.
Earlier, the National Police Service assured Kenyans of heightened security ahead of the strike, saying measures had been put in place to ensure continuity of transport services.
Police spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said the service had noted reports of an industrial action allegedly organised by a section of matatu operators and transport stakeholders, but maintained that most sector players remained operational.
The police also noted that the United Transport Association of Kenya had distanced itself from the strike and reaffirmed its commitment to uninterrupted services.
“Security measures have been enhanced, and any disruptive conduct will be dealt with firmly and in accordance with the law,” the statement read.
Kenyans were urged to remain calm, continue with normal activities, and report suspicious activity through emergency lines 999 and 911 or anonymously via the #FichuaKwaDCI platform.
The nationwide strike was called by the Transport Alliance umbrella body, which brings together matatu operators and members of the Truckers Association of Kenya, in protest against recent fuel price increases.
The group accused the government and the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) of imposing “sharp and unjustified” adjustments that have worsened the cost of living.
Some schools reportedly advised parents to keep children at home due to uncertainty over transport availability.
Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi said the government is considering fresh measures to cushion Kenyans from rising fuel costs and will review the situation after President William Ruto returns from an official visit to Azerbaijan.
“We can only hope that this war will end, but even as we hope, we must make certain decisions. I am sure the government will sit again once the President returns to assess what more can be done,” Mbadi said.
“If we were to leave the prices without any intervention, diesel today would be costing not less than Sh35 more, and petrol would be costing over Sh70 more.”
He termed the strike unnecessary despite acknowledging the burden of high fuel prices.
“In my view, the matatu strike is completely uncalled for, even though the prices of fuel have gone up. My concern is that we are trying to solve a global problem by applying domestic means, which is not appropriate,” he added.
Kiharu MP Ndindi Nyoro has also called for an emergency parliamentary sitting to deliberate on possible interventions to reduce fuel prices.
