Plans by the Somalia-based terror group Al-Shabaab to carry out a major attack in Nairobi during the holy month of Ramadhan were foiled following months of intelligence-led operations, security agencies have said.
According to police, the disrupted plot targeted crowded areas in the capital and was expected to result in mass casualties. Investigations indicate that the suspects were also exploring plans to kidnap foreigners and hijack vehicles as part of a broader terror campaign.
The operation followed sustained surveillance and covert intelligence gathering on a suspected terror network operating within the Dadaab Refugee Complex in Garissa County.
Security officers recovered a cache of weapons and ammunition believed to have been destined for Nairobi.
They included five AK47 rifles at least 600 rounds of ammunition, pistols, grenades, explosives, and narcotics, police said. Authorities believe the weapons were being assembled and prepared for coordinated attacks timed to coincide with Ramadhan, which began on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.
Officials did not immediately disclose the number of suspects arrested or whether charges had been preferred, stating that investigations were ongoing. It also remains unclear what the fate of those linked to the alleged plot will be.
Security agencies have heightened patrols and surveillance in Nairobi and other major towns as a precautionary measure.
“Nairobi remains safe because of the brave young men and women in our security agencies who spend long hours tracking down dangerous terrorists and criminals,” a senior police officer said.
Kenya has in the past faced repeated threats from al-Shabaab, particularly due to its military involvement in Somalia under the African Union mission.
Authorities have urged the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity as investigations continue.
The refuge camp has been regarded a breeding ground for terrorism.
The gang had last month stolen a police car after shooting and seriously wounded a police driver.
Many believe some of these incidents happen out of help by locals and some insiders. Somalia has not had an effective central government since the 1991 overthrow of President Siad Barre’s military regime, which ushered in more than two decades of anarchy and conflict in a country deeply divided along clan lines.
Kenya launched Operation Linda Nchi on October 14, 2011, after gunmen seized tourists at the Coast, which the Government saw as a threat to the country’s sovereignty, as it targeted the nation’s economic lifeline, which is tourism.
Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

