Site icon Kahawatungu

Public Transport Sector Stakeholders suspend strike for a week for talks

Public Transport Sector Stakeholders called off a strike that had stalled operations after talks at Harambee House led by top government officials.

Cabinet Secretaries Kipchumba Murkomen and Opiyo Wandayi led the talks.

Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja was also president.

The players accompanied the officials at a press conference to announce the suspension of their strike.

“We resume operations immediately as we continue with our negotiations,” said one of the leaders of the matatus.

They also apologized for the inconvenience caused by the two-day strike.

At least four people were killed, and property was destroyed in the chaos that broke out on Monday.

The strike went on Tuesday before the announcement was made.

Murkomen said the negotiations will be undertaken at a high level in the next one week.

“Following consoltation meeting this morning, between the government and representatives It was agreed that there was need for negotiations between the government and stakeholders at a high level. And those negotiations must be undertaken within the next one week. Between now and Tuesday, May 26, 2026, the strike that is on is suspended for a period of one week,” Murkomen said.

“This will provide an avenue for negotiations between the government and representatives available,” he added..

Deputy President Kithure Kindiki defended the government’s response to rising fuel prices, attributing the global surge to the ongoing US-Israel-Iran conflict that has disrupted fuel supply chains and increased freight, insurance, and logistics costs worldwide.

In a statement, Kindiki said the government remains committed to cushioning Kenyans from the effects of the crisis through subsidies and tax adjustments to stabilize prices.

He noted that Value Added Tax (VAT) on fuel had already been reduced from 16 per cent, while Sh12 billion has been spent over the last two months to subsidize fuel prices.

He added that further subsidies will continue to be applied on future fuel stocks until the global situation stabilizes.

As part of the latest intervention measures, the Deputy President announced that the price of diesel had been reduced by Sh10 per litre effective immediately, describing the move as a demonstration of the government’s commitment to continuous engagement with stakeholders in managing the fuel price spike.

Kindiki, however, defended the retention of part of the fuel tax, saying the revenue remains critical for road construction, maintenance of infrastructure, and support for other sectors of the economy, including education and social services.

“The right balances must be maintained to ensure that as we sort out the fuel price issue, we do not disrupt funding for other equally important sectors,” he said.

The Deputy President also condemned incidents of violence, looting, arson, and destruction of property witnessed during recent protests over the high cost of living and fuel prices.

He warned that criminal groups engaging in armed robberies and attacks on public and private property were threatening national interests and undermining the country’s future.

“Any person sympathetic to criminal activity and terror on citizens doesn’t deserve the privilege of leading at any level or in any part of our country,” Kindiki stated.

Exit mobile version