Royal Media Services chairman, SK Macharia has sued the government seeking compensation for the revenues lost throughout the three day shutdown.
He also wants the state barred from interfering with the firm’s broadcasting sites.
It is estimated that the three switched off stations; KTN, Citizen Tv and NTV have lost close to Sh30 million in advertising revenues per day.
The three stations control over 90 per cent of the local viewership.
The Interior CS, Fred Matiang’i on Wednesday said that the three stations would remain shut as the government investigated ‘serious breach of security’ claims against them.
“Media owners and all relevant actors had been given a full security situation brief well ahead of the illegal activities of NASA. Unfortunately, some media houses chose to disregard this advice, their own code of ethics, self- regulations and moral responsibility to every Kenyan to safeguard security of their fellow citizens,” he said at Harambee House.
But the High Court earlier on today (Thursday) suspended the state’s directive and further directed the government to restore all television stations that had been shut down.
Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to Editor@kahawatungu.com