Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    US judge blocks Trump’s National Guard deployment in Los Angeles

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiDecember 11, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    A federal judge on Wednesday blocked President Donald Trump’s deployment of National Guard troops in Los Angeles and ordered the troops be returned to the state governor’s control.

    In June, Trump sent thousands of National Guard troops to the California city in the wake of protests over his administration ramping up immigration raids in Los Angeles.

    US District Judge Charles Breyer said the Trump administration had not proven that that the city’s protests against immigration justified taking federal control of the state’s National Guard.

    The Trump administration still has control over 300 California National Guard troops six months after they were federalised, Judge Breyer said.

    Breyer also denied the Trump administration’s argument that the courts should not weigh in on a president taking control of state National Guard troops during an emergency.

    “The Founders designed our government to be a system of checks and balances,” Judge Breyer wrote in his ruling. “Defendants, however, make clear that the only check they want is a blank one.”

    Judge Breyer said his order would not go into effect until 15 December, giving the Trump administration time to make its expected appeal to a higher court.

    “President Trump exercised his lawful authority to deploy National Guard troops to support federal officers and assets following violent riots,” said White House spokeswoman Abigail Jackson in a statement to the BBC, adding “we look forward to ultimate victory on the issue.”

    This year, Trump has sent National Guard troops to several cities, including Portland, Oregon, and Washington DC, where the deployments have also been contested in courts and, in some cases, blocked by judges.

    California Governor Gavin Newsom sued soon after Trump first deployed thousands of troops in June, but a court of appeals sided with the administration, saying the protests in Los Angeles justified Trump’s federalisation of the National Guard.

    Newsom filed a new legal challenge in November, arguing the protests in the city had largely subsided and therefore the troops were no longer necessary.

    In a hearing in the case on Friday, lawyers for the Trump administration said the troops should stay in LA because federal immigration agents there were still being targeted.

    But Judge Breyer seemed to question the need for troops to remain in the city months later.

    “I think experience teaches us that crises come and crises go,” he said, according to the Associated Press.

    In his ruling, Judge Breyer said the Trump administration was “effectively creating a national police force made up of state troops” by sending California’s National Guard troops to other states as well.

    Judge Breyer previously ruled that the way Trump deployed the National Guard to Los Angeles this summer was illegal.

    All 50 US states, the District of Columbia, and several territories have their own contingent of National Guard troops.

    President Donald Trump’s deployment of the National Guard to several US cities has drawn a round of legal challenges by state and local officials.

    Trump has argued that his use of the troops is necessary to quell violence in Democratic-controlled cities, crack down on crime and support his deportation initiatives.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Nasa targets early March to send humans back around the Moon

    February 21, 2026

    Tariffs ruling is major blow to Trump’s second-term agenda

    February 21, 2026

    US sanctions list reveals brother of RSF commander Hemedti now using Kenyan passport

    February 20, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    How to Make Fig Jam

    February 21, 2026

    New Campaign Empowers Farmers to Fight Fake Seeds and Boost Food Security

    February 21, 2026

    Nasa targets early March to send humans back around the Moon

    February 21, 2026

    Tariffs ruling is major blow to Trump’s second-term agenda

    February 21, 2026

    Jubilee declares only Matiangi can unseat Ruto

    February 20, 2026

    Dermal Fillers Unpacked: What They Do, Who They’re For, and How to Get Natural Results

    February 20, 2026

    Heavy Rainfall Alert Issued for Several Regions as Flood Risk Rises

    February 20, 2026

    Sara Blakely Siblings: Meet Ford Blakely

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.