Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiMay 25, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
    Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    At least 20 people have been killed and 70 others injured in an explosion targeting a train transporting military personnel in Pakistan.

    The blast occurred while the train was travelling through Chaman Phatak station in Quetta, the capital of the western Balochistan region, on Sunday morning.

    Railway officials told BBC Urdu that three coaches and the engine were derailed while two were overturned. The shuttle service had primarily been transporting service personnel and their families who had been returning home for Eid.

    The Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA) separatist group claimed responsibility for the attack, saying it was a suicide bombing. Pakistani officials have not yet confirmed this.

    Images from the scene show burnt-out and mangled carriages and nearby cars, as well as bomb damage to a nearby building.

    “The train was moving and there were passengers on board when the explosion occurred,” Naseer Ahmed, a local resident, told the BBC.

    He said that, as it had been a Sunday morning, his family had been asleep when the blast occurred, shattering all his windows.

    A police officer and civil administration official in Balochistan confirmed to BBC Urdu that 20 people had been killed, with fears the death toll could rise.

    Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif strongly condemned the attack, saying “such cowardly acts of terrorism cannot weaken the resolve of the people of Pakistan”.

    “The entire nation stands in solidarity with the people of Balochistan in this hour of grief,” he added.

    An emergency has been declared in hospitals treating victims.

    Those aboard the train had been on their way to Quetta’s main railway station from a nearby military encampment, officials said. From there, they were due to travel to Peshawar and then onto their home towns for the holiday. It is not the first time the BLA has targeted trains in Balochistan. In the past two years, the Jaffar Express has come under attack from the armed group multiple times.

    Militants hijacked a train and took a number of passengers hostage while en route to Peshawar in March 2025.

    The BLA accuses Pakistan’s federal government of exploiting the rich mineral resources of its largest province without the local population benefiting.

    Balochistan covers nearly 44% of the country’s land, sharing volatile borders with Iran and Afghanistan and covering part of the Arabian Sea coastline. It is home to about 5% of the country’s more than 240 million people.

    Violence between BLA fighters and Pakistani security forces erupted in Quetta and across the region in early February, leading to the deaths of 31 civilians.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Nigeria’s President Tinubu to run for re-election

    May 24, 2026

    Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House

    May 24, 2026

    Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo

    May 24, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan

    May 25, 2026

    IG Kanja orders changes in President’s security after breach in Kilifi

    May 24, 2026

    Top surgeon at The Karen Hospital dies after fall at Karen mall

    May 24, 2026

    Drama as man grabs Ruto in security breach in Kilifi 

    May 24, 2026

    FKF and SJAK Mourn Veteran Football Commentator Diblo Kaberia

    May 24, 2026

    Former MP Were’s son dies after attack in Kisumu

    May 24, 2026

    Nigeria’s President Tinubu to run for re-election

    May 24, 2026

    UDA SG Omar apologizes over remarks seen divisive

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.