Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Colombian drug gang violence kills 60 people

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterJanuary 19, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The death toll from attacks by a rebel group in Colombia’s Catatumbo region has risen to 60, the country’s human rights office has said.

    Rival factions have been vying for control of the cocaine trade in the region – which sits near the border with Venezuela – for years.

    The Ombudsman’s Office said the latest violence involved the National Liberation Army (ELN) – the largest armed group still active in Colombia – and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (Farc), which signed a peace treaty with the state in 2016.

    The attacks broke an uneasy truce between the guerrilla groups, which had been in peace negotiations with the government.

    The Ombudsman’s Office, a government agency that oversees the protection of citizens’ human and civil rights, previously reported that 40 had died in the violence.

    It said that many people, including community leaders and their families, were facing a “special risk” of being kidnapped or killed at the hands of the ELN. It noted that 20 people had recently been kidnapped, half of whom were women.

    The office said that among those killed were seven peace treaty signatories and Carmelo Guerrero, the leader of the Association for Peasant Unity in Catatumbo (Asuncat), a local advocacy group.

    Asuncat wrote on social media on Friday that Roger Quintero and Freiman Velasquez, members of its board of directors, had not been seen since the previous day, and that it suspected armed groups had taken them.

    “In some communities in the region, food shortages are beginning to be reported, affecting local communities,” the Ombudsman’s Office wrote in a statement on Saturday, adding that thousands of people are believed to have been displaced by the violence.

    “Elderly people, children, adolescents, pregnant women and people with disabilities are suffering the consequences of these events.”

    “Catatumbo is once again stained with blood,” the Association of Mothers of Catatumbo for Peace wrote on Friday.

    “The bullets exchanged not only hurt those who hold the weapons, but also tear apart the dreams of our communities, break up families and sow terror in the hears of our children.”

    The Ombudsman’s Office appeared to lay the blame for the latest violence on the ELN, which had been in peace talks with the Colombian government until they were suspended on Friday due to the violence in Catatumbo.

    President Gustavo Petro – who since his election in 2022 has sought to end violence between armed groups in the country – accused the ELN of “war crimes” and said the group “shows no willingness to make peace”.

    The ELN accused Farc of having initiated the conflict by killing civilians in a statement on Saturday, according to Reuters news agency. Farc has not publicly responded to the allegation.

    On Saturday, the Colombian army announced it was sending additional troops to the region in an effort to restore peace.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Columbia
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Cuba accuses US of building ‘fraudulent case’ for military action

    May 18, 2026

    At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

    May 18, 2026

    Bodies of missing Italian divers found in Maldives

    May 18, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Cuba accuses US of building ‘fraudulent case’ for military action

    May 18, 2026

    At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

    May 18, 2026

    Bodies of missing Italian divers found in Maldives

    May 18, 2026

    Ryan Reaves Siblings: Meet Regina and Jordan Reaves

    May 18, 2026

    At least two killed, tens arrested as strike over high fuel prices paralyses transport in Kenya

    May 18, 2026

    Carey Price Siblings: All About Kayla Price

    May 18, 2026

    Reilly Smith Siblings: Get to Know Rory and Brendan Smith

    May 18, 2026

    Tyler Toffoli Siblings: All About Megan and Courtney Toffoli

    May 18, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.