Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    NEWS

    DP communications team vehicle attacked by rioters in Embu

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterMay 19, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    A vehicle attached to the Deputy President’s communications team was attacked and vandalised by rioters in Embu Town Monday morning as the team travelled to Tharaka Nithi on official duties.

    The incident occurred at around 10am along the Embu–Meru Highway near the old stadium within Embu Town.

    The team was travelling in a Toyota Fortuner assigned to the Deputy President when the attackers allegedly descended on the vehicle and hurled stones at it, damaging both the front and rear windscreens.

    Those in the vehicle included videographers Daniel Mungai and David Mwenda, as well as camera operator Phoebe Okari, their driver and a bodyguard. They escaped unhurt.

    During the chaos, the attackers reportedly stole a bag belonging to one of the victims. The bag contained camera batteries, a camera charger and personal clothing items.

    No injuries were reported during the incident, and police are investigating the attack.

    The incident happened during ongoing protests against high fuel cost.

    Elsewhere, at least four people were killed while more than 30 others sustained injuries during the unrest.

    At least four vehicles were burnt, others damaged and property looted in the chaos.The strike continued on Tuesday with public transport players withdrawing their services.

    Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen accused political actors of hijacking protests over rising fuel prices, saying criminal gangs were mobilized to spread violence, loot property, and intimidate government supporters.

    Murkomen said the government respected the constitutional right to protest but condemned what he described as organized lawlessness that disrupted transport and businesses across the country.

    He addressed the press at his office in Nairobi.

    He linked the unrest to the global fuel crisis triggered by the ongoing conflict involving the US, Israel, and Iran, saying the closure of the Strait of Hormuz had sharply increased shipping and insurance costs, leading to higher fuel prices locally.

    “Looting, violence, blocking roads, and vandalizing public and private property can in no way bring down the prices,” Murkomen said.

    Murkomen, however, claimed the protests had been infiltrated by “rogue politicians” sponsoring criminal activities targeting government projects and leaders allied to the Kenya Kwanza administration.

    He cited the looting of Khetia supermarkets allegedly linked to a pro-government MP, the burning of a UDA office in Wote, Makueni County, and the torching of two trucks at the Rironi-Mau Summit road project as evidence of what he termed a coordinated campaign to spread fear.

    The Interior CS also referenced the death of gospel musician Rachel Wandeto, who succumbed to injuries after an attack in Nairobi, alleging that inflammatory political rhetoric was fueling intolerance and violence.

    “We are witnessing a clear scheme where a section of the political class is making incendiary statements to fan intolerance and ethnic bigotry,” he said.

    Murkomen warned that organizers of the demonstrations and those behind the violence would face the full force of the law, adding that four people were killed while more than 30 others sustained injuries during the unrest.

    “It is quite unfortunate that there are politicians in this country who measure the success of opposition to the government by the number of innocent lives lost,” he said.

    He further warned leaders accused of profiling Kenyans based on political affiliation that they would be held personally responsible for lives lost and property destroyed.

    The CS assured the public that security agencies had been instructed to restore order, clear blocked roads, and guarantee the safety of travelers and businesses.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Nairobi Central OCS arrested over release of 64 detainees in high-cost of fuel protests

    May 19, 2026

    Commuters trek for second day as public transporters boycott work over fuel cost

    May 19, 2026

    State Agencies Advertise Jobs as NLB Seeks CEO, Senior Managers

    May 19, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    DP communications team vehicle attacked by rioters in Embu

    May 19, 2026

    Nairobi Central OCS arrested over release of 64 detainees in high-cost of fuel protests

    May 19, 2026

    Commuters trek for second day as public transporters boycott work over fuel cost

    May 19, 2026

    State Agencies Advertise Jobs as NLB Seeks CEO, Senior Managers

    May 19, 2026

    Worker Dies, Two Injured in Westlands Scaffold Collapse

    May 19, 2026

    Youth in Mathare Shine Through Community Football Initiative

    May 19, 2026

    EPRA reduces Diesel prices by Sh10, increases Kerosene prices by Sh38

    May 19, 2026

    Teen suspects fatally shoot three in suspected hate crime at San Diego mosque

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.