Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    NEWS

    DPP Orders Prosecution of 95 Shakahola Suspects, To Face Murder, Radicalization, Child Torture Charges

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterJanuary 16, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Director of Public Prosecutions Mulele Ingonga Tuesday ordered the prosecution of 95 individuals from Wednesday with murder, manslaughter, radicalization, cruelty, and child torture among other charges in the Shakahola massacre probe.

    The killings happened in Shakahola area, Kilifi county.

    The Public Prosecutor had given until January 23 to charge Paul Mackenzie, the leader of the Shakahola forest starvation cult, blamed for the death of over 400 followers of his so-called Good News International Church.
    Shanzu Principal Magistrate Yousuf Shikanda issued the new ultimatum on Tuesday last week citing the historic length of pre-trial detention on Mackenzie and his associates.

    “As already stated in my previous ruling, this is the longest pre-charge detention in the history of the country following the promulgation of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010,” Shikanda said.

    Read: Shakahola Massacre: Mackenzie, Co-Accused Detained For A Further 130 Days

    Shikanda who noted the accused persons had been in detention for 117 days since their arrest said the DPP must process charges against the accused persons within 14 days.

    “If no decision to charge the respondents will have been made after the expiry of such period, the court will consider releasing the respondents from custody on terms that will be determined by the court,” he said.

    So far more than 400 bodies have exhumed.

    Dozens more bodies are believed to be buried in shallow graves therein.
Mackenzie, who is in police custody, is being investigated for influencing his followers to starve to death in order to meet their maker.

    Police also suspect that some of the victims did not starve to death and may have been killed and then buried on the property.
He has denied wrongdoing, but has been refused bail. He insists that he shut down his church in 2019.
The followers say he told them to starve themselves in order to “meet Jesus”.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    DPP Renson Ingonga Shakahola
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Ruto adviser Adan Mohamed named new KRA boss

    May 19, 2026

    Strike is on, no deal in fuel talks matatu operators say

    May 19, 2026

    Court to decide on application to detain two suspects in fake Sh58 million gold scam

    May 18, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Teen suspects fatally shoot three in suspected hate crime at San Diego mosque

    May 19, 2026

    Alex Murdaugh sues court clerk over jury tampering after murder convictions overturned

    May 19, 2026

    Man City preparing for Guardiola departure

    May 19, 2026

    Trump administration unveils $1.7bn fund to compensate his allies as he drops tax lawsuit

    May 19, 2026

    Musk loses OpenAI court battle after jury finds he waited too long to sue

    May 19, 2026

    Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states

    May 19, 2026

    Ruto adviser Adan Mohamed named new KRA boss

    May 19, 2026

    Strike is on, no deal in fuel talks matatu operators say

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.