Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Hamas says it will return bodies of four hostages including Bibas family

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiFebruary 19, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Hamas says it will return bodies of four hostages including Bibas family
    Hamas says it will return bodies of four hostages including Bibas family
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Hamas said it will hand over the bodies of four hostages on Thursday, including the two youngest people held by the Palestinian armed group.

    The group’s negotiator Khalil al-Hayya said the bodies to be released would include those of the Bibas family – Shiri and her young children Kfir and Ariel, who were aged nine months and four years when Hamas kidnapped them during the 7 October 2023 attack.

    Hamas alleges that the three were killed in Israeli bombardment. Israel has not confirmed this.

    The children’s father Yarden was released by Hamas earlier this month.

    Al-Hayya said Hamas would also release six living hostages on Saturday – double the number originally planned.

    In exchange, Israel will free all women and those under the age of 19 arrested since last October and is allowing some rubble-clearing equipment into Gaza through the border with Egypt.

    In a statement, al-Hayya said the group agreed “handing over four bodies of the occupation prisoners on Thursday 20 February, including the bodies of the Bibas family.”

    Hamas claimed in November 2023 they had been killed in an Israeli air strike, without providing evidence. The Israeli military has not confirmed the report. Israeli officials have said only that they are gravely concerned for their lives.

    An Israeli official told Reuters that deceased hostages would undergo identification in Israel before being named.

    In a statement, the Bibas family said it was aware of the Hamas statement.

    “In the past few hours, we have been in turmoil following Hamas spokesperson’s announcement about the planned return of our Shiri, Ariel, and Kfir this Thursday as part of the hostages’ remains release phase,” the statement said.

    “We want to make it clear that while we are aware of these reports, we have not yet received any official confirmation regarding this matter.

    “Until we receive definitive confirmation, our journey is not over.

    Hamas has also named two of the six Israelis to be released on Saturday.

    They are Avera Mengistu and Hisham al-Sayed, who were seized in 2014 and 2015 respectively after they crossed into Gaza on their own. The Israeli government has said both suffered from mental health issues at the time.

    Under the first phase of the ceasefire agreement, Hamas agreed to release 33 hostages. In exchange, Israel agreed to release about 1,900 Palestinian prisoners.

    Talks on progressing to the second phase of the deal – under which the remaining living hostages would be released and the war would end permanently – were due to start earlier this month but have not yet begun.

    Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said the talks would begin “this week”.

    He said Israel would “not accept the continued presence of Hamas or any other terrorist organisation in Gaza” but that Israel could prolong the ceasefire if discussions were productive.

    “If we will see there is a constructive dialogue with a possible horizon of getting to an agreement (then) we will make this time-frame work longer,” Saar said.

    A total of 73 hostages are currently being held in Gaza – a mixture of Israeli soldiers and civilians both dead and alive. This also includes Thai and Nepalese nationals.

    Some 251 hostages were taken by Hamas when it attacked Israel on 7 October 2023, killing about 1,200 people.

    Israel responded with a 15-month military offensive that killed 47,460 Palestinians, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry, and devastated the coastal enclave.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Dozens dead after boat capsizes in north-western Nigeria

    August 21, 2026

    El Niño set to be ‘strongest in living memory’, says UK’s Met Office

    August 21, 2026

    FBI arrests woman over alleged plot to bomb New York capitol building

    August 21, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Will Shields Net Worth

    August 21, 2026

    Women sharpen knives for Onchoke as Bonchari 2027 race heats up

    August 21, 2026

    Warrick Dunn Net Worth

    August 21, 2026

    The County that is forgetting its dead: How urban renewal in Kisii has left the dead behind

    August 21, 2026

    Two children drown while playing near water pan in Trans Nzoia

    August 21, 2026

    Boy drowns in open water pit in Kiambu

    August 21, 2026

    Two men killed after sand-harvesting wall collapses in Machakos

    August 21, 2026

    Boy shot and injured during political rally in Homa Bay

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.