Transport has been disrupted in several parts of the country following a nationwide matatu strike on Monday, May 18, 2026, in protest against increased fuel prices.
The National Police Service (NPS) said security officers have been deployed across affected regions to restore calm and prevent further disruption of movement and economic activity.
In a statement, police spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said the service had noted reports of an industrial action allegedly organised by a section of matatu operators and public transport stakeholders, but maintained that most players in the sector remained operational.
The police further said the United Transport Association of Kenya had distanced itself from the strike and reaffirmed its commitment to uninterrupted transport services.
Transport was disrupted along the Gilgil Highway, where protesters blocked the road with burning tyres and makeshift barricades in demonstrations linked to fuel price concerns.
In Nakuru, County Commissioner Layford Kibaara said security officers were deployed to restore order after transport was paralysed in Barnabas area, forcing commuters to walk to their destinations.
“Police have cleared roads in Barnabas Area in Nakuru after transport had been paralysed and commuters forced to walk. Authorities are monitoring the situation,” Kibaara said.
In Nairobi, however, the Central Business District remained relatively calm, although Public Service Vehicles (PSVs) were scarce.
Nairobi North County Commissioner Simon Osumba said police responded to attempted road blockades along Kasarani–Mwiki Road, Outer Ring Road and Donholm.
In Nyandarua, County Commissioner Abdirizak Jaldesa said suspected goons from Laikipia set tyres ablaze in Mairo-Inya town, prompting a police operation led by the Officer Commanding Station (OCS) to restore calm.
Laikipia County Commissioner Duncan Muyesu confirmed that transport had been paralysed in parts of the county, with major highways affected.
“Motorists are advised to avoid travel along Nyahururu–Rumuruti Highway and Lamuria Route,” Muyesu said.
In contrast, Busia County reported normal traffic flow despite the strike, although some PSV operators suspended services. County Commissioner Stephen Orinde said no demonstrations or road blockades had been recorded in the area.
Earlier, the National Police Service assured Kenyans of heightened security ahead of the strike, saying measures had been put in place to ensure continuity of transport services.
Police urged members of the public to remain calm and continue with daily activities, adding that any disruptive conduct would be dealt with firmly within the law.
“Security measures have been enhanced, and any disruptive conduct will be dealt with firmly and in accordance with the law,” the statement read.
Kenyans were also encouraged to cooperate with law enforcement officers and report suspicious activity through emergency numbers 999 and 911, or anonymously via the #FichuaKwaDCI platform.
The nationwide strike was called by the Transport Alliance umbrella body, which includes matatu operators and members of the Truckers Association of Kenya.
The group is protesting recent fuel price increases, accusing the government and the Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority (EPRA) of imposing what they termed as “sharp and unjustified” adjustments that have worsened the cost of living.
Some schools reportedly advised parents not to send children to school as a precaution amid uncertainty over transport availability.
Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

