Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    BUSINESS

    Mumias Sugar Power Disconnected Over Ksh2 Billion Unpaid Electricity Bill

    Francis MuliBy Francis MuliSeptember 9, 2018No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Operations at Mumias Sugar Company have been halted following Kenya Power’s decision to cut electricity for the sugar miller over Ksh2 billion arrears in electricity bills. The power was disconnected on Saturday evening, following ‘an order from above’.

    This is despite a meeting held last month between the two companies, that deliberated how embattled Mumias will pay the bill.

    A local daily reports that Mumias was preparing to start producing ethanol on Monday, when Kenya Power threw them off the balance.

    “We were set to start processing ethanol production when the electricity supply was switched off. We had already fermented the materials in preparation for the processing but could suffer loses if the matter is not resolved,” said Mumias acting CEO Patrick Chebosi.

    The company has been facing financial hardships that has seen lenders threaten to auction its property. Last week, its managers were served with a notice from auctioneers demanding Ksh13.4 million awarded to a former employee Ms Pamela Lutta, who sued for wrongful termination.

    Read: Telkom Launches Revamped Retail Shop In Kisumu

    The miller owes lenders more than Ksh20 billion (Ksh700 million to farmers), which threatens to bring down for good Mumias.

    Early last month, Mumias temporarily stopped crushing of cane due to shortage of raw material.

    The miller, however, still faces a hurdle in its plea for additional funds from the Treasury. Mumias board chairman Kennedy Ngumbau Mulwa said a month ago that 80 per cent of the turnaround plan had been approved by the Treasury and progress was being made on the balance.

    Do you have a story you want told? Do you know of a sensitive story you would like us to get our hands on? Email your news TIPS to Editor@kahawatungu.com Also WhatsApp 0708677607 with your news tips

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Kenya Power Mumias Sugar
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Francis Muli
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)
    • Instagram
    • LinkedIn

    Follow me on Twitter @francismuli_ Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    How Digital Innovation is Transforming Money Management and Banking Services

    May 16, 2026

    Free M-PESA Transactions Account for 58% of All Activity as Usage Surges

    May 15, 2026

    CAK Pushes Changes to Sacco Amendment Bill Over Regulatory Concerns

    May 13, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    How to Use Engine Flush

    May 19, 2026

    How to Use Electric Blanket

    May 19, 2026

    How to Use eBucks FNB

    May 19, 2026

    How to Use Credit Card Wisely

    May 19, 2026

    How to Use Collagen Powder

    May 19, 2026

    Murder probe after fresh grave discovered in Kakamega

    May 19, 2026

    DP communications team vehicle attacked by rioters in Embu

    May 19, 2026

    Nairobi Central OCS arrested over release of 64 detainees in high-cost of fuel protests

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.