The county government of Machakos has temporarily closed privately owned Shalom Hospital where an infant died under bizarre circumstances on Sunday.
The deceased, son to a KBC reporter Jonathan Musau, suffered minor burn injuries.
“My sincere condolences to the family of the child – Jonathan Musau and his wife and their family for this loss. It is very very sad and breaks my heart. God give you strength at this difficult time,” he said.
According to governor Alfred Mutua, the boy’s death could have been prevented. The boy was apparently injected with the wrong dosage of morphine by a clinical officer and pharmacist.
He further noted that the person who administered the injection was not a trained health worker but a hospital attendant with no medical training.
He has also asked that authorities nab the proprietors or directors of the hospital, the administrator, doctor in charge, pharmacist in charge, clinical officer concerned and patient attendant who administered the drug and charge them with various crimes that may include manslaughter.
The facility, he said, has had its operating license suspended until further notice.
Meanwhile, the county chief has ordered for the transfer of in-patients to other facilities including Machakos county hospitals within 48 hours.
Those already at the hospital, he continued, should be treated until 6 pm with no new patients being received.
Mutua further divulged that a spot check at the hospital by health officers led to a couple of discoveries including; the hospital lacks proper procedures and staffing and its infrastructure and general condition wanting.
In April, a woman gave birth at the facility unattended as the nurses watched and enjoyed their tea.
The hospital administrator Thomas Ndolo and a nurse Edna Nyarangi were arrested in a case of negligence.
Email your news TIPS to Editor@kahawatungu.com or WhatsApp +254707482874