Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Thailand and Cambodia thank Trump for mediation, but shelling continues

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterJuly 27, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Donald Trump said on Saturday that he had called the leaders of Cambodia and Thailand, pressing them for an immediate ceasefire following border clashes.

    At the beginning of a private visit to his Scottish golf courses, the US president wrote on Truth Social that both nations “have agreed to immediately meet and quickly work out a Ceasefire and, ultimately, PEACE!”

    Both countries thanked him for his concern and efforts. Cambodia has accepted his request for a ceasefire, while Thailand stressed the need for a dialogue between the two countries.

    After the US president’s calls, however, shelling continued along the border overnight.

    The response from the prime ministers of Thailand and Cambodia to Trump’s phone calls has been positive, yet neither has changed its position.

    Cambodia had already proposed a ceasefire; its military is weaker than Thailand’s and it has been losing ground and equipment to the Thai artillery bombardments and air strikes.

    “I made it clear to [Trump] that Cambodia agreed with the proposal for an immediate and unconditional ceasefire between the two armed forces,” Cambodian PM Hun Manet said after the phone call, adding that Trump’s mediation “will truly help protect the lives of many soldiers and civilians”.

    On the other hand, Thailand says it is willing to consider a ceasefire, but is sticking to its previous demand that dialogue with Cambodia must come first.

    Acting Prime Minister Phumtham Wechayachai “thanked President Trump for his concern and expressed that Thailand agrees in principle to have a ceasefire in place. However, Thailand would like to see sincere intention from the Cambodian side,” the Thai foreign ministry said in a statement.

    At least 33 soldiers and civilians have been killed while thousands of Thai and Cambodian nationals have been displaced since fighting broke out on 24 July.

    Trump said that he looked forward to resuming trade talks with Cambodia and Thailand though it wasn’t appropriate to hold discussions until the “fighting STOPS”.

    He has intervened a week before US tariffs on Cambodia and Thailand are due to come into force.

    From 1 August, businesses in the US shipping in goods from Thailand or Cambodia will have to pay a 36% tax unless an agreement can be reached before then.

    It is not clear how Trump has become involved in the situation, given that just a day ago Thailand’s foreign minister Maris Sangiampongsa said: “I don’t think we need any mediation from a third country yet.”

    Malaysian Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim had previously offered to facilitate talks between Thailand and Cambodia.

    Earlier on Saturday, Cambodia had already called for “immediate” ceasefire with Thailand and a peaceful resolution to the dispute.

    After teeing off at his luxury resort Trump Turnberry in South Ayrshire, the US president said that he had spoken to Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet and Phumtham.

    “When all is done, and peace is at hand, I look forward to concluding our Trading Agreements with both!” Trump wrote.

    Thailand and Cambodia have each accused the other of firing first in this latest clash.

    Thailand claims fighting began when Cambodia’s military deployed drones to conduct surveillance of Thai troops near the border.

    Cambodia alleges that Thai soldiers violated a prior agreement by advancing on a Khmer-Hindu temple.

    The dispute between the two countries dates back more than a century, when the borders of the two nations were drawn after the French occupation of Cambodia.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Cambodia Thailand US President Donald Trump
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Judge who allowed FBI to search Washington Post reporter’s home rips into Justice Department

    February 22, 2026

    Secret Service will offer tailored suits to new protective detail agents

    February 22, 2026

    Mayweather, 48, out of retirement for fourth time

    February 22, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Ten-month old baby dies out of carbon dioxide suffocation in Subukia

    February 22, 2026

    Two miners drown in gold mining tunnel after heavy rains in Migori 

    February 22, 2026

    Two bodies with bullet wounds found in forest along Kilifi-Malindi highway

    February 22, 2026

    Man killed in altercation over Sh7,000 charcoal kilns debt in Isiolo

    February 22, 2026

    Gusii UDA leaders attack United Opposition ahead of regional tour

    February 22, 2026

    Oasis Healthcare partners with Shabana FC in Sh10 million medical deal

    February 22, 2026

    Journalism at the crossroads as firms close bureaus and shed staff — A Kenyan Perspective

    February 22, 2026

    Judge who allowed FBI to search Washington Post reporter’s home rips into Justice Department

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.