Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Turkish riot police storm opposition offices after leaders ousted

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiMay 25, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Turkish riot police storm opposition offices after leaders ousted
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Turkish riot police forced their way into the headquarters of the country’s main opposition party on Sunday, days after a court dismissed its leadership. Clouds of tear gas billowed outside the Republican People’s Party (CHP) building in Ankara, where party members had blocked the entrances with a makeshift barricade.

    Footage from the scene showed those inside shouting and throwing objects towards the entrance, and police being sprayed with hoses.

    Party leader Özgür Özel had vowed to defy an appeal court decision on Thursday which declared his election null and void, in a move further cementing President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s grip on power.

    The court decided that Özel should be replaced by Kemal Kilicdaroğlu, a 77-year-old party veteran who was defeated by Erdoğan in the 2023 presidential election.

    Turkish media reported that Kilicdaroğlu’s representatives had requested the police carry out “necessary procedures” to hand over the headquarters to the new leadership, claiming they had so far been barred entry.

    The city’s governor then instructed the police to “implement the court decision”, according to a statement from his office. “We are under attack,” Özel said in a video message shared on X as the security forces sought entry to the building, where clashes were also reported between his supporters and those of Kilicdaroğlu.

    Özel later emerged from the premises, before setting off towards the Turkish assembly surrounded by supporters.

    “They tried to uproot and throw us out,” he told crowds gathered outside.

    He said the party would “from now be on the streets or in the squares, marching towards power”.

    Human Rights Watch warned on Saturday that Erdoğan’s government was undermining Turkish democracy with “abusive tactics” against the CHP.

    Erdoğan has led Turkey since 2003, as prime minister and then as president, and Özel has accused his AK party of pursuing a strategy to “eliminate its rivals”.

    The 72-year-old leader can only run for president again if he calls early elections before 2028 or changes the constitution.

    Justice Minister Akin Gürlek said earlier this week that the appeal court ruling “reinforces our citizens’ trust in democracy”.

    The decision overturned a 2025 ruling by a lower court that threw out allegations of vote buying during the CHP primary in which Özel became opposition leader.

    The ruling also means the party’s entire executive is replaced, and it is thought its decisions are no longer recognised.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan

    May 25, 2026

    Nigeria’s President Tinubu to run for re-election

    May 24, 2026

    Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service near White House

    May 24, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Turkish riot police storm opposition offices after leaders ousted

    May 25, 2026

    William Sawe named new presidential escort commander after Kilifi breach

    May 25, 2026

    Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan

    May 25, 2026

    IG Kanja orders changes in President’s security after breach in Kilifi

    May 24, 2026

    Top surgeon at The Karen Hospital dies after fall at Karen mall

    May 24, 2026

    Drama as man grabs Ruto in security breach in Kilifi 

    May 24, 2026

    FKF and SJAK Mourn Veteran Football Commentator Diblo Kaberia

    May 24, 2026

    Former MP Were’s son dies after attack in Kisumu

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.