Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    US seizes second oil tanker off Venezuela’s coast 

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterDecember 21, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The US has seized an oil tanker that had recently departed from Venezuela, according to the US Department of Homeland Security.

    It is the second time this month that the US has seized an oil-carrying ship off the country’s coast.

    The move comes after US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that he was ordering a “blockade” of sanctioned oil tankers entering and leaving Venezuela.

    Venezuela has condemned the latest US seizure, describing it as “theft and kidnapping”. Venezuela has previously accused the US of trying to steal its resources.

    “These acts will not go unpunished,” a statement from the Venezuelan government said, adding that it intends to file a complaint with the UN Security Council and “other multilateral agencies and the governments of the world”.

    The operation was led by the US Coast Guard, similar to the operation earlier this month. The ship was boarded by a specialised tactical team, and was in international waters when it was taken.

    Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, whose department oversees the Coast Guard, shared a video of the operation on X.

    “In a pre-dawn action early this morning on Dec 20, the US Coast Guard with the support of the Department of War apprehended an oil tanker that was last docked in Venezuela,” Noem wrote.

    She posted a seven-minute video of the operation, which shows US helicopters landing on the deck of a ship with the name Centuries written on the side.

    “The United States will continue to pursue the illicit movement of sanctioned oil that is used to fund narco terrorism in the region,” Noem wrote, adding: “We will find you, and we will stop you.”

    The Centuries is a Panamanian-flagged ship, but in the past five years it has also sailed under the flags of Greece and Liberia, according to records seen by BBC Verify.

    It is not on the US Treasury’s list of sanctioned vessels.

    In recent weeks, the US has been building up its military presence in the Caribbean Sea and has carried out deadly strikes on alleged Venezuelan drug-smuggling boats, killing around 100 people.

    The US has provided no public evidence that these vessels were carrying drugs, and the military has come under increasing scrutiny from Congress over the strikes.

    The US has accused Venezuela President Nicolás Maduro of leading a designated-terrorist organisation called Cartel de los Soles, which he denies.

    The Trump administration accuses him and the group of using “stolen” oil to “finance themselves, Drug Terrorism, Human Trafficking, Murder, and Kidnapping”.

    Following the seizure of the second ship, Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth posted on X that the US will continue to “unflinchingly conduct maritime interdiction operations… to dismantle illicit criminal networks.”

    “Violence, drugs, and chaos will not control the Western Hemisphere.”

    Venezuela – which is home to the world’s largest proven oil reserves – is highly dependent on revenues from its oil exports to finance its government spending.

    Trump’s announcement of a “blockade” came less than a week after the US seized an oil tanker believed to be part of the “ghost fleet” off the coast of Venezuela, which allegedly used various strategies to conceal its work.

    The White House said the vessel in question, called the Skipper, had been involved in “illicit oil shipping” and would be taken to a US port.

    Venezuela’s government decried the move, with Maduro saying the US “kidnapped the crew” and “stole” the ship.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    US Venezuela
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Teen suspects fatally shoot three in suspected hate crime at San Diego mosque

    May 19, 2026

    Alex Murdaugh sues court clerk over jury tampering after murder convictions overturned

    May 19, 2026

    Trump administration unveils $1.7bn fund to compensate his allies as he drops tax lawsuit

    May 19, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    DCI Homicide Unit Takes Over Probe Into Killing of Gospel Artist Rachel Wandeto

    May 19, 2026

    Jonathan Toews Siblings: Getting to Know David Toews

    May 19, 2026

    Connor Hellebuyck Siblings: Get to Know Brittany and Chris Hellebuyck

    May 19, 2026

    Eric Comrie Siblings: Meet the Siblings Squad Behind the Ice Hockey Player

    May 19, 2026

    Public Transport Sector Stakeholders suspend strike for a week for talks

    May 19, 2026

    Kenya honored at World Health Assembly for eliminating sleeping sickness

    May 19, 2026

    Kindiki Defends Fuel Pricing Formula as Govt Rules Out Deeper Cuts Beyond Sh10 Reduction

    May 19, 2026

    LSK says OCS mandated to release suspects in custody

    May 19, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.