Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    EAST AFRICA

    Rwanda Suspends Flights from Southern Africa Over Omicron COVID Variant

    Eva NyamburaBy Eva NyamburaNovember 29, 2021No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    All direct flights between Rwanda and southern African countries over Omicron, the new Covid-19 variant, have been suspended temporarily.

    The country has also imposed a seven-day quarantine for passengers arriving in Kigali from the affected cointries.

    Rwanda joins the European Union, the United States, Israel, United Arab Emirates, the UK, among others, that have suspended flights to southern Africa.

    The new variant, B.1.1.529, which is said to spread three times faster than the Delta variant, has already been detected in 13 countries.

    Read: Gov’t Says No Plans to Ban Entry Into Kenya Over New COVID Variant As Positivity Rate Drops To 0.5%

    Last week, South Africa complained it was being “punished” for detecting the new variant following the flight ban.

    The foreign affairs ministry said the ban “is akin to punishing South Africa for its advanced genomic sequencing and the ability to detect new variants quicker.”

    “Excellent science should be applauded and not punished,” it said, adding that the variant has been detected in other countries.

    The variant was first discovered in South Africa and has since been detected in Belgium, Botswana, Israel and Hong Kong.

    Read Also: All Passengers from South Africa Must Possess Negative Covid-19 PCR- Ministry of Health

    Meanwhile, Kenya currently has no plans to ban people traveling from the affected countries.

    Speaking in Kisii, Health PS Susan Mochache said the government has intensified surveillance at the entry points to the country and all persons will be screened and show proof that they have been vaccinated.

    She urged Kenyans to continue observing COVID-19 protocols.

    Mochache assured Kenyans that if the cases remain low the country will remain open to allow economic recovery, especially in this festive season when the tourism industry is expected to pick up.

    “We cannot continue with an economic depression because of COVID-19. Families must continue to interact and people must continue to move,” stated the PS.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@kahawatungu.com or WhatsApp +254707482874. You can also find us on Telegram through www.t.me/kahawatungu

     

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    COVID-19 Omicron Rwanda Southern Africa
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Eva Nyambura
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)

    Content creator at Kahawatungu.com | Passionate about telling the untold story. Lover of life, music and technology. Simplicity is KEY Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Man dies after fight at Kisumu motel

    August 17, 2026

    School night watchman found dead in store in Machakos

    August 17, 2026

    Vehicles damaged and people injured as hired goons attack Linda Mwananchi Homa Bay rallies

    August 17, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    How to Check ITC

    August 17, 2026

    How to Check Intellimali Balance

    August 17, 2026

    Heroes actress Hayden Panettiere dies aged 36

    August 17, 2026

    If Meta loses this trial, Instagram and Facebook could change forever

    August 17, 2026

    Ferrari’s first ever electric car sold for record $40m at auction

    August 17, 2026

    Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City

    August 17, 2026

    Trump says US to scale back military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war

    August 17, 2026

    ‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.