Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    BUSINESS

    Boeing Furloughs Executives To Save Costs Amid Ongoing Strike

    David WafulaBy David WafulaSeptember 18, 2024No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Boeing is temporarily furloughing executives and nonunion workers in response to the strike by 33,000 members of the International Association of Machinists, CEO Kelly Ortberg announced in an email to employees on Wednesday.

    The furloughs, set to begin in the coming days, will last one week out of every four for the affected employees.

    While they are on furlough, they will still retain their benefits.

    Ortberg’s note emphasized that the move will impact a large number of U.S.-based executives, managers, and employees but aims to minimize the overall effect on each individual.

    Despite the furloughs, production of the 787 Dreamliner at Boeing’s nonunion facility in South Carolina will continue.

    “All activities critical to our safety, quality, customer support, and key certification programs will be prioritized,” Ortberg said.

    Ortberg, who took over as CEO on August 8, also stated that the company’s leadership team, including himself, will take a pay cut for the duration of the strike.

    The strike, which began last Friday, has halted most commercial plane production.

    Boeing, the union, and federal mediators resumed talks on Tuesday, but little progress has been made.

    The union has expressed frustration with Boeing’s unwillingness to address key concerns, such as wages and pensions.

    “The company doesn’t seem to be taking mediation seriously,” the union said.

    In addition to the furloughs, Boeing has already implemented cost-saving measures, including a hiring freeze, reduced travel, and cuts in purchasing from suppliers.

    “This is a tough decision that affects everyone, but it’s necessary to ensure our long-term future,” Ortberg wrote.

    He assured employees that the company would continue to communicate openly as the situation unfolds.

    The negotiations are ongoing, and both sides hope to reach a resolution soon.

     

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    David Wafula

    Related Posts

    Ferrari’s first ever electric car sold for record $40m at auction

    August 17, 2026

    KPA steps up port security measures to boost safety of Mombasa port

    August 15, 2026

    The Benefits of Using Digital Fax Services for Businesses

    August 15, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Heroes actress Hayden Panettiere dies aged 36

    August 17, 2026

    If Meta loses this trial, Instagram and Facebook could change forever

    August 17, 2026

    Ferrari’s first ever electric car sold for record $40m at auction

    August 17, 2026

    Barcelona agree £65m deal to sign Rodri from Man City

    August 17, 2026

    Trump says US to scale back military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran war

    August 17, 2026

    ‘Probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement

    August 17, 2026

    Trump envoy Kushner meets Hamas leader to push Gaza peace plan

    August 17, 2026

    Kisii workers in salary limbo as budget hitch delays July pay

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.