Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    COURT NEWS

    Katiba Institute asks COB to stop approval of payments for presidential advisors

    Pinnah MokeiraBy Pinnah MokeiraFebruary 4, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Katiba Institute asked the Office of the Controller of Budget to stop approving any payments to former Presidential Advisors and their offices, following a ruling that declared the creation of the positions unconstitutional.

    In a letter addressed to Controller of Budget Dr. Margaret Nyakang’o, the constitutional litigation and advocacy group referenced the High Court judgment delivered on January 22, 2026.

    The organisation requested confirmation that, in line with Article 228 of the Constitution, no public funds have been or will be approved for the affected offices.

    The High Court had ruled that the creation of the advisory offices and the appointment of 21 individuals to them violated the Constitution and public service laws, declaring the positions null and void.

    The court also issued orders restraining authorities from facilitating or effecting payments linked to the offices.

    In its letter, the Katiba Institute said it was seeking assurance that public funds have not been disbursed to the former advisors or their staff since the ruling.

    The Institute gave the Controller of Budget 14 days to respond and confirm compliance.

    The court found that the offices were created without proper constitutional and statutory processes, including bypassing the Public Service Commission and failing to involve the Salaries and Remuneration Commission in assessing financial implications.

    Article 228 of the Constitution mandates the Controller of Budget to oversee withdrawals from public funds and ensure they are authorised by law.

    The group had made application for the order to be set aside but the court rejected the same. Justice Bahati Mwamuye ruled that the matters raised before him had already been determined by the court.

    This was a blow to the group that had moved to court seeking to stay the earlier order for them to stay in office.

    In his decision, the judge said the respondents and interested parties had advanced the same arguments and sought the same reliefs previously considered, making the fresh applications res judicata.

    Justice Mwamuye said submissions made during the highlighting of the applications were a repetition of positions already presented, noting that the court had earlier addressed concerns raised over the alleged duplication of offices.

    He said the new applications did not raise any fresh issues or demonstrate any likelihood of injustice that would warrant a stay.

    “The doctrine of res judicata prevents a matter from being endlessly litigated,” the judge ruled as he dismissed the applications and declined to suspend his earlier decision.

    Katiba Institute, through lawyer Malidzo Nyawa, urged the court to dismiss the applications, arguing that the court lacked jurisdiction to re-open matters that had already been decided.

    The respondents, however, told the court that a stay was necessary to allow 21 officers to hand over.

    They also indicated they would appeal against the decision.

    “We want to go to the Court of Appeal since we’ve exhausted the High Court,” lawyer Issa Mansur said.

    Katiba Institute said once a court has rendered a final judgment, it lacks jurisdiction to reopen or reconsider its own decision.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Katiba Institute
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Pinnah Mokeira

    Related Posts

    Court Upholds Mbeere North MP’s Election, Dismisses Petition Challenging Results

    May 21, 2026

    Suspect in murder of gospel artist Wandeto detained for 10 days pending probe 

    May 21, 2026

    High Court Declares Criminalisation of Consensual Teen Relationships Unconstitutional

    May 21, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Child trafficking suspect arraigned as police rescue 22 girls in Mombasa

    May 21, 2026

    How Trump’s IRS settlement could block tax audits of him, his family and their businesses

    May 21, 2026

    India has a new political superstar – a cockroach

    May 21, 2026

    DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak

    May 21, 2026

    Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns

    May 21, 2026

    Why Free Malware Removal and Windows Antivirus Tools Matter in 2026

    May 21, 2026

    Beatbot AquaSense X vs AquaSense 2 Ultra: Which One Should You Choose?

    May 21, 2026

    KNH Introduces Advanced Technology for Haemorrhoids Treatment

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.