The case in which Paul Nthege Mackenzie and 93 others face 283 counts of manslaughter proceeded Wednesday before the Mombasa Law Courts, with the prosecution presenting a series of witnesses.
Among those who testified was Sergeant Benson Ingosi, a senior scene of crime documentation officer, who recounted his role in documenting the scene at Shakahola forest following reports that followers of Good News International Church were fasting in the area and being buried in shallow graves.
Sergeant Ingosi told the court that he travelled to Shakahola in the company of the Officer Commanding Station (OCS) from Lango Mbaya Police Station.
Upon arrival, they observed individuals sheltering in makeshift canopies enclosed with thorny branches. He documented the scene through photographs, capturing images of the canopies, victims, bedding, houses where the victims were allegedly residing, and several bodies recovered from the site.
The officer further testified that some of the victims found at the scene were unconscious and unable to speak.
The prosecution also called Anthony Wambugu, a senior engineer from Telecom Kenya specializing in phone data record analysis. He told the court that he received a request to analyze 16 phone numbers and 10 IMEI numbers linked to the investigation. His task included examining registration details, call data records, Telecom Kenya Cash transactions, and IMEI associations.
Wambugu testified that he complied with the request and submitted his findings. He informed the court that 15 of the 16 numbers were registered with Telecom Kenya, while two were linked to TCash money transfer services.
Several family members who lost relatives in the Shakahola incident also took the stand virtually.
Jembe Justus Chengo, aged 39, told the court that she lost her sister and her eight-year-old child, who had been followers of Good News International Church.
Silvano Ambakwa testified that he lost his younger brother, a father of five. According to Ambakwa, his brother joined the Good News International Church—Lwanda branch and later established his own church. He furnished from home for about 2 years. Although he later returned home, he subsequently left again without notice.
The court also heard from Mama Ruth Kadzo Kahindi, who identified herself as the mother of Mary Kadzo and the mother-in-law of Smart Mwakalama, both accused persons in the case. She told the court that she had previously worshipped at Good News International Church but was chased away by Pastor Mackenzie following disagreements.
She further stated that she does not know the whereabouts of her grandchildren.
The matter is set to continue as the prosecution proceeds with its case against the accused persons in connection with the Shakahola deaths.
Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

