Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    At least 700 dead in Tanzania’s post-election protests, opposition says

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiNovember 1, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    At least 700 dead in Tanzania's post-election protests, opposition says
    At least 700 dead in Tanzania's post-election protests, opposition says
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Some 700 people have been killed in three days of election protests in Tanzania, the main opposition party said Friday, with protesters still on the streets in the midst of an internet blackout.

    “As we speak the figure for deaths in Dar (es Salaam) is around 350 and for Mwanza it is 200-plus. Added to figures from other places around the country, the overall figure is around 700,” John Kitoka, spokesman from the main opposition party Chadema, said.
    “The death toll could be much higher,” he warned, saying killings could be happening during the nighttime curfew.

    President Samia Suluhu Hassan, whose government is accused of a campaign of repression, had sought to cement her position and silence critics in her party in the virtually uncontested polls, with the main challengers either jailed or barred from standing.

    Wednesday’s election descended into chaos as huge crowds took to the streets of Dar es Salaam and other cities, tearing down her posters and attacking police and polling stations, leading to an internet shutdown and curfew.

    With foreign journalists largely banned from covering the election and a communications block entering its third day, information from the ground has been scarce.

    Chadema, which was barred from the election, said protesters were marching on the city centre in Dar es Salaam on Friday, met by a heavy police and army presence.

    A security source told AFP they were hearing reports of more than 500 dead, “maybe 700-800 in the whole country”, while Amnesty said it had received information of at least 100.

    Multiple hospitals and health clinics were too afraid to talk directly to reporters.
    Local news sites had not been updated since Wednesday, and Hassan has not commented on the unrest.

    The only official statement came from army chief Jacob Mkunda late Thursday who called the protesters “criminals”.

    Zanzibar ‘robbed’

    In Zanzibar, a tourist hotspot, Hassan’s ruling party had already been declared winner of the local vote on Thursday.

    The opposition party, ACT-Wazalendo, rejected the result, saying: “They have robbed the people of Zanzibar of their voice… The only solution to deliver justice is through a fresh election.”

    A senior party official said ballot boxes had been stuffed, people had been allowed to vote multiple times without ID and that their election observers had been kicked out of counting rooms.

    The ruling party (Chama Cha Mapinduzi: CCM) was due to give a press conference later in the day.

    At a meeting place for opposition supporters on Zanzibar, there was dismay and fear.
    “There has never been a credible election since 1995,” said a 70-year-old man, referring to Tanzania’s first multi-party vote.

    None of those interviewed gave their names.

    “We are afraid of speaking because they might come to our houses and pick us up,” said one.

    Crackdown
    Hassan has faced opposition from parts of the army and allies of her iron-fisted predecessor, John Magufuli, since she took over upon his death in 2021, analysts say.
    They said she wanted an emphatic victory to cement her position, and the authorities banned the main opposition party, Chadema, and put its leader on trial for treason.

    In the run-up to the vote, rights groups condemned a “wave of terror” in the east African nation, including a string of high-profile abductions that escalated in the final days.

    Much public anger has been directed at Hassan’s son, Abdul Halim Hafidh Ameir, accused of overseeing the crackdown.

    ACT-Wazalendo was allowed to contest the local election in Zanzibar, but its candidate was barred from competing against Hassan on the mainland.

    By Agencies

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Judge who allowed FBI to search Washington Post reporter’s home rips into Justice Department

    February 22, 2026

    Secret Service will offer tailored suits to new protective detail agents

    February 22, 2026

    Mayweather, 48, out of retirement for fourth time

    February 22, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Ten-month old baby dies out of carbon dioxide suffocation in Subukia

    February 22, 2026

    Two miners drown in gold mining tunnel after heavy rains in Migori 

    February 22, 2026

    Two bodies with bullet wounds found in forest along Kilifi-Malindi highway

    February 22, 2026

    Man killed in altercation over Sh7,000 charcoal kilns debt in Isiolo

    February 22, 2026

    Gusii UDA leaders attack United Opposition ahead of regional tour

    February 22, 2026

    Oasis Healthcare partners with Shabana FC in Sh10 million medical deal

    February 22, 2026

    Journalism at the crossroads as firms close bureaus and shed staff — A Kenyan Perspective

    February 22, 2026

    Judge who allowed FBI to search Washington Post reporter’s home rips into Justice Department

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.