The Canadian province of Nova Scotia is facing pushback for what some have called “draconian” restrictions as it tries to limit wildfire risk in extremely dry conditions. Last week, Nova Scotia banned all hiking, fishing and use of vehicles like ATVs in wooded areas, with rule breakers facing a C$25,000 ($18,000) fine. A tip line has been set up to report violations. The Canadian Constitution Foundation, a non-profit that defends charter rights in the country, called the ban a “dangerous example of ‘safetyism’ and creeping authoritarianism”. Tens of thousands of residents are under evacuation alerts in eastern Canada as the…
Author: KahawaTungu Reporter
The United States issued a warning to prospective Kenyan students seeking visas, cautioning that skipping classes or leaving school without notifying their institution could lead to visa denials. This it added will jeopardize future applications. In a notice issued Wednesday, the US Embassy in Nairobi urged students to remain committed to their academic programmes and comply with institutional requirements to maintain visa eligibility. “Heading to the U.S. on a student visa? Ensure you stay on track! Skipping classes or leaving your program without notifying your school could impact your visa status and future travel plans,” the embassy stated. The embassy…
The Speaker of the National Assembly, Moses Wetang’ula, has received a letter from Dr. Duncan Oburu Ojwang, declining his nomination as Chairperson of the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR). Dr. Ojwang’s name had been submitted to the National Assembly by President William Ruto for approval hearings. In a Communication to the House on Tuesday, August 5, 2025, Wetang’ula conveyed the President’s proposal and referred the nominee’s name and curriculum vitae to the Departmental Committee on Justice and Legal Affairs for vetting. A lawyer by profession, Dr. Ojwang has extensive experience in national and international human rights law, policy,…
The body of a man who was found murdered and abandoned in a cabin lorry in Rongo Town was identified as the driver, Dickson Indimuli Aluwa, 69. An autopsy on the body showed he had been hit in the head with a blunt object that caused his death. He was a driver of the lorry belonging to Mombasa Maize Millers in Kisumu. He had been sent to deliver assorted edible oils to Kehancha on August 8 when he went missing. The company said they lost track of the lorry then. He was trapped and killed by unknown people who stole…
A suspect was attacked and killed by a mob moments after he had slashed to death a woman in a dispute over family trees in Kegochi village, Nyamache, Kisii County. The man had earlier attacked and killed his sister-in-law, identified as Teresa Abel, 43, in a confrontation at their home on Monday evening, police said. The murder was prompted after the father of the assailant stopped him from cutting his trees. This was after the father reported him to the local chief, who, in turn, went and warned the assailant against cutting the trees until the dispute is solved. According…
At least ten people were Tuesday arrested in ongoing clashes between the Mbeere and Meru people in Siakago Town, Embu Town. The clashes, which began on Monday, have halted operations in the town amid efforts to contain them. The clashes pitted the Mbeere people and those from Meru who operate in the area and broke out on Monday, August 11, on claims of theft of motorcycles. At least six kiosks, a timber yard, a motorcycle, and a transformer were burnt down in the chaos. Police said they recovered arrows and machetes from the arrested suspects. More than 50 people from…
An NYK cargo vessel was headed to the Port of Mombasa Wednesday as the busy gateway prepared to handle 15 conventional cargo vessels, 12 oil tankers, and 15 car carriers in the coming days. Even as Mombasa remains East Africa’s busiest port, its sister facility in Lamu has made history. The Port of Lamu recently received MV Nagoya Express, the longest vessel ever to dock at an East African port, marking what the Kenya Ports Authority (KPA) describes as a game-changing moment for regional maritime trade. The 335-meter container ship, operated by German shipping line Hapag-Lloyd, collected 140 transshipped TEUs…
Four teenagers were arrested over a burglary that left actor Brad Pitt’s home ransacked, police said. The suspects are allegedly behind a number of “celebrity burglaries” that targeted the houses of actors and professional athletes, Los Angeles Police Chief Jim McDonnell said. He said the male suspects, two 18-year-olds, a 17-year-old and a 16-year-old, are street gang members, and property stolen in the burglaries was found when police searched their homes. Police did not name those whose properties were targeted, but celebrities including Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban, LA Dodgers pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto and ex-LA Football Club striker Olivier Giroud…
Mexico sent 26 inmates suspected of playing high-profile roles in some of the country’s most powerful drug cartels to the US, the second transfer of its kind this year. US officials said the individuals extradited included “key operatives” of major drugs gangs, and have been charged with violent offences or links to organised crime in American courts. Mexico said the individuals – who have not been publicly identified – represented “a permanent risk to public security”. The latest prisoner transfer came as the White House continued to put pressure on its southern neighbour to crack down on drug trafficking across…
The White House is set to a host an Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) event next year as part of 4 July celebrations in the US to mark the 250th anniversary of the country’s founding. The octagon cage fight event was announced by UFC boss Dana White, whose friendship with the president dates back to the early 2000s when Trump hosted some of the first ever UFC events at his business properties. “It is definitely going to happen,” White told CBS Mornings. White said he planned to meet with the president and his daughter Ivanka at the end of the month…
US federal prosecutors announced criminal charges against Jimmy Cherizier, the Haitian gang leader known as “Barbecue” who leads an alliance of gangs that control much of the capitol of Port-au-Prince. The indictment alleges that Mr Cherizier, as well as US citizen Bazile Richardson, 48, solicited funds from Haitian diaspora community in the US to help pay gang members and buy firearms in violation of US sanctions. Mr Cherizier, a former police officer who is at large in Haiti, leads the group Viv Ansanm (Live Together). The US is offering $5m (£3.7m) for information leading to his arrest. The group has…
The wife of South Korea’s jailed former president, Yoon Suk Yeol, was arrested over a raft of charges, including stock manipulation and bribery. Former first lady Kim Keon Hee denied all charges during a four-hour court hearing in Seoul on Tuesday. But the court issued a detention warrant, citing the risk that she may destroy evidence. South Korea has a history of former presidents being indicted and imprisoned. However, this is the first time both the former president and former first lady have been jailed. Yoon was detained in January to face trial over a failed martial law bid last…
A South Korean former tech executive accused of helping to spark a cryptocurrency crisis that cost investors more than $40bn (£31.8bn) pleaded guilty to two criminal counts of fraud. Do Kwon was the boss of Singapore-based Terraform Labs, which operated two cryptocurrencies – TerraUSD and Luna – both of which collapsed in 2022, triggering a wider sell-off in the crypto market. The US says he was responsible for the failure of the two digital currencies, accusing him of “orchestrating a multi-billion dollar crypto asset securities fraud”. As part of the plea deal, prosecutors have agreed to refrain from seeking a…
Artificial intelligence (AI) start-up Perplexity has made a surprise $34.5bn (£25.6bn) takeover offer for Google’s Chrome internet browser. Moving Chrome to an independent operator committed to user safety would benefit the public, Perplexity said in a letter to Sundar Pichai, the boss of Google’s owner Alphabet. Google’s dominance of the search engine and online advertising market has come under intense scrutiny, with the technology giant facing a years-long antitrust case brought by the US Department of Justice. The BBC has contacted Google for comment. The firm has not announced any plans to sell Chrome – the world’s most popular web…
A Mombasa Court Tuesday closed the inquest into the death of British national Harry Roy Veevers, ending an 11-year legal process that failed to determine the cause of death. Delivering his ruling, Senior Resident Magistrate David O. Odhiambo said the court could not establish how Veevers died due to conflicting forensic reports and the advanced decomposition of the body. “Due to the level of decomposition and the conflicting reports by pathologists, the government chemist and other experts, the cause of death remains unknown, and as such nobody can be called to answer to any charge,” ruled Odhiambo. Veevers was buried…
