Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterAugust 23, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    More than 100 people have been abducted in attacks on several villages in Nigeria’s central Niger State, police and residents have told the BBC.

    The attackers, who were reportedly wearing military-style clothing, targeted communities in the Borgu Local Government Area after Fridayprayers.

    Police spokesman Wasiu Abiodun said more than 40 people were also killed in the attacks on Dekara, Gidan Zana, Sabon Gida and Masaka villages.

    He said authorities suspect the attackers were bandits – criminal gangs involved in kidnapping and looting for ransom across parts of Nigeria.

    Residents said the gunmen entered Dekara after prayers, gathered people and took them into nearby forests before moving on to neighbouring villages.

    Local lawmaker Jafar Muhammad Shetiman Borgu confirmed the attacks had taken place to the BBC.

    The attacks come as armed groups have increased their activities in the remote Borgu area, which borders Kebbi and Kwara states as well as Benin.

    These latest attacks are separate from an earlier series of abductions in the same area.

    Earlier this month, police said 145 people had been rescued after being abducted from four villages in Borgu – Konkoso, Kasuwan-Daji, Tungan-Makeri and Shafachi.

    They were among 308 people the authorities said been rescued in a major security operation, including more than 160 people abducted in neighbouring Kwara State.

    The attacks highlight the continuing security challenges in Niger State and across north central Nigeria, where armed groups have exploited remote forests and weak security presence to carry out raids and kidnappings.

    The Borgu area has also been linked to the activities of Jihadist groups operating in parts of north-western Nigeria and across the border region.

    Local officials say Jihadist fighters have in recent months entered communities and imposed religious restrictions.

    Shetiman said the latest attacks had raised fears that some of the gunmen may be trying to recruit young people.

    The security situation has remained particularly serious in Borgu.

    Last week, more than 20 people were killed in the local government area, according to local officials.

    In November 2025, gunmen also abducted more than 200 pupils from a school in Papiri, in Niger State. The children were released about a month later.

    Despite repeated military and police operations, large parts of Niger State remain difficult for security forces to access, allowing armed groups to operate from forested areas and carry out attacks on isolated communities.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Carney say Trump started trade war with fresh tarrifs ‘attack’

    August 23, 2026

    US military newspaper editor voices censorship fears after being fired

    August 23, 2026

    Two police officers among seven killed in wrong-way car crash

    August 23, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    18-Year-Old Suspect Arrested Over Murder of 84-Year-Old Woman in Trans Nzoia

    August 23, 2026

    Leading African Institutions, Entrepreneurs and Professionals to Be Honored in Nairobi

    August 23, 2026

    MPs Pledge Support for Expansion of Police Training Facilities Across Kenya

    August 23, 2026

    Technological Gaps, Smuggling and Cross-Border Crime Challenge Operations at Busia Border

    August 23, 2026

    27,330 Litres of Suspected Illicit Brews Destroyed in Kawangware Operation

    August 23, 2026

    Mudavadi Appoints Poppins Omwenga Miso as WSPU Kenya Executive Director

    August 23, 2026

    Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say

    August 23, 2026

    Carney say Trump started trade war with fresh tarrifs ‘attack’

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.