Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Gunmen on motorcycles kill at least 50 in northwest Nigeria

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterFebruary 21, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Gunmen killed at least 50 people and abducted women and children in an overnight assault on a village in northwestern Nigeria’s Zamfara State, authorities and residents said.

    The attack started late on Thursday night and continued into Friday morning in Tungan Dutse village in the Bukkuyum area of Zamfara when armed men arrived on motorcycles and began setting fire to buildings and abducting residents.

    “They have been moving from one village to another … leaving at least 50 people dead,” said Hamisu A Faru, a lawmaker representing Bukkuyum South.

    Faru, speaking to the Reuters news agency by phone on Friday, said the number of people abducted remained unclear as local officials were still compiling lists of the missing.

    Residents say warning signs were visible before the attack.

    Abdullahi Sani, 41, said villagers alerted security forces after spotting more than 150 motorcycles carrying armed men a day earlier, but no action was taken.

    “No one slept yesterday; we are all in pain,” Sani said, adding that three members of his family were killed in the attack.

    Areas of Nigeria’s north and west continue to grapple with overlapping security threats, including armed criminal gangs and rebel fighters.

    Just last week, at least 46 people were killedin raids in the Borgu area of northwest Niger State. The deadliest assault occurred in the village of Konkoso, where at least 38 residents were shot or had their throats cut, according to reports.

    The crisis has drawn increased international involvement.

    Nigeria recently expanded security cooperation with the United States after President Donald Trump accused the country of failing to halt the killing of Christians and threatened military intervention.

    On December 25, the US launched air strikeson the northern state of Sokoto, conducted in coordination with Nigerian authorities.

    Earlier this week, Nigeria’s military confirmed the arrival of 100 US soldiers tasked with training local forces.

    Samaila Uba, spokesperson for Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters, said the US troops would offer “technical support” and “intelligence sharing” to help combat “terrorist organisations”, along with “associated equipment”.

    He stressed the US personnel would not engage directly in combat and would share technical expertise under Nigerian command.

    By Aljazeera

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Nigeria Zamfara
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Trump brings in new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes

    February 21, 2026

    Anna Murdoch-Mann, mother of News Corp heir, dies aged 81

    February 21, 2026

    Lion DNA helps convict poachers for first time

    February 21, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    PS Muthoni warns of rising nicotine use among youth

    February 21, 2026

    Ruto Reappoints Board Chairpersons in Key State Agencies

    February 21, 2026

    Two people die in electrocution incidents in Makueni and Siaya Counties

    February 21, 2026

    Woman’s decomposing body found in her house after suspected murder in Githurai 

    February 21, 2026

    Gunmen on motorcycles kill at least 50 in northwest Nigeria

    February 21, 2026

    Trump brings in new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes

    February 21, 2026

    DCI arrest suspected ringleaders behind wines and spirits robbery spree

    February 21, 2026

    How to Make Flowers Out of Ribbon

    February 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.