Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    NEWS

    Media Council sounds alarm over ‘dangerous’ wave of attacks on journalists

    Magati ObeboBy Magati ObeboAugust 17, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Media Council sounds alarm over ‘dangerous’ wave of attacks on journalists
    Media Council sounds alarm over ‘dangerous’ wave of attacks on journalists
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Media Council of Kenya (MCK) has raised alarm over a growing wave of attacks against journalists covering political activities across the country, warning that the violence threatens press freedom and Kenya’s democracy ahead of the 2027 General Election.

    In a statement issued late Monday, the Council called on the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) and the Inspector General of Police to urgently investigate the attacks, arrest those responsible and ensure they are prosecuted.

    MCK said at least 18 journalists and two media drivers from different media houses had been assaulted and injured by politically funded goons over the past two months, with equipment destroyed, stolen or damaged.

    The latest incidents occurred on Sunday during the Linda Mwananchi rallies in Homa Bay, where at least eight journalists and two drivers were reportedly attacked.

    Among those affected were Mediamax journalists Francis Mwangi and Evans Okeyo, whose vehicle was burnt, while Standard Group journalists Sammy Omingo and Rodgers Ouso were physically assaulted.

    Agence France-Presse journalists Fred Ooko and Brian Ongoro were also attacked and had their cameras destroyed. KBC journalist Ken Odiwuor Mavienga was beaten and had his equipment stolen.

    Citizen TV journalist Kevin Fraji and his driver were also assaulted, while their vehicle was destroyed.

    The Homa Bay violence has attracted widespread condemnation, with political leaders warning that the attacks could signal an escalation of political intolerance as the country moves closer to the 2027 elections.

    MCK said the continued attacks, intimidation and apparent failure to prosecute perpetrators were creating a climate in which those targeting journalists were becoming increasingly emboldened.

    It warned that the situation was particularly dangerous because journalists play a critical role in providing voters with information and facilitating public debate during elections.

    The Council cited several other recent incidents as evidence of a worrying pattern.

    On August 12, Nation Media Group photojournalist Karim Rajan was attacked and injured near the Mombasa County Assembly while covering a gathering involving youth and human-rights representatives.

    On July 23, five journalists from Mt Elgon TV were attacked while covering a political aspirant in Kimilili, with one journalist seriously injured.

    During the Ol Kalou by-election, at least four journalists were also physically attacked and their equipment confiscated.

    The incidents come against a backdrop of repeated concerns over the safety of journalists covering politically charged events.

    In July, a K24 crew covering the Linda Mwananchi convoy in Keumbu, Kisii County, was attacked, leaving a journalist injured, a camera destroyed and a media vehicle extensively damaged.

    MCK has previously warned about attacks on journalists in Homa Bay.

    Its 2026 State of Media Freedom report documented Homa Bay as one of the counties that had emerged as a significant hotspot for press freedom violations.

    The Council said it had documented the latest cases and submitted them to the Inspector General of Police, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority and the ODPP for investigation and prosecution.

    It, however, expressed concern over what it described as limited progress in bringing perpetrators to account.

    According to the Council, attacks on journalists violate the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of expression and media freedom, as well as Kenya’s international obligations to protect journalists.

    The Homa Bay attacks have meanwhile intensified debate over the country’s preparedness for the 2027 elections.

    Presidential hopeful and former Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has questioned how the violence could have occurred without the knowledge of the country’s security leadership, while other political leaders have called for swift action against those responsible.

    For MCK, the issue goes beyond individual journalists who have been injured or lost equipment.

    The Council says failure to hold perpetrators accountable risks normalising violence against the press and could ultimately undermine the public’s right to information.

    It has therefore urged security agencies and prosecutors to work closely with affected journalists and media houses to bring those responsible to justice.

    With political temperatures already rising in different parts of the country, the Council’s warning underscores a growing concern: if journalists cannot safely cover political campaigns, Kenyans may struggle to access the independent information they need to make informed choices in 2027.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Magati Obebo

    Related Posts

    Police officer killed in Homa Bay rally violence identified 

    August 17, 2026

    Two including cop die, 46 injured, 6 cars torched during Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay Town

    August 17, 2026

    Kang’ata condemns violence against Linda Mwananchi in Homa Bay, demands action

    August 17, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Media Council sounds alarm over ‘dangerous’ wave of attacks on journalists

    August 17, 2026

    Police officer killed in Homa Bay rally violence identified 

    August 17, 2026

    Chaos, dust and development: Homa Bay’s battle to shake off decades of marginalisation

    August 17, 2026

    Matiang’i: President Ruto ‘had knowledge’ of Homa Bay violence

    August 17, 2026

    Two including cop die, 46 injured, 6 cars torched during Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay Town

    August 17, 2026

    Denzel Dumfries Siblings: All About Demelza, Daniëlle and Donovan

    August 17, 2026

    Micky van de Ven Siblings: Getting to Know Caya van de Ven

    August 17, 2026

    Guus Til Siblings: Meet Klaartje, Daan and Kees

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.