Author: KahawaTungu Reporter

Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

Teams are investigating an incident where a suspect was found dead in a police cell after suspected suicide at the Tangakona police post cells, Busia County. The incident happened on September 30, 2025 in the afternoon and the victim was identified as Moses Barasa, 24. He had been arrested over complaints of stealing six bags of dry maize and detained at the station for processing. As the police officers at the report office were busy recording his details, he slipped off and escaped dramatically. An alarm was raised and locals joined in chasing him for a short while. He was…

Read More

The US federal government shut down Wednesday after Republican and Democratic lawmakers failed to resolve a budget standoff. The impasse affects the funding of government operations through October and beyond and is poised to cause widespread disruption for Americans in areas ranging from air travel to zoo visits. The political gridlock is also expected to put 40% of the federal workforce – about 800,000 people – on unpaid leave. Here’s how its impact will be felt across the country. Your next flight A federal shutdown will hit flyers in a variety of ways, potentially leading to long security queues, and…

Read More

A couple was arrested after their daughter aged five died following a move to discipline her in their house in Kebirigo, Nyamira County. The incident happened on September 30, 2025 morning. The couple claimed the girl suffered epilepsy. But police said the body of the girl had visible injuries on the head and face. Other tenants at the residential apartment said they heard the girl scream as she was being beaten before she went silent. It was then that the couple rushed her to the local hospital, where she was pronounced dead on arrival, police said. The body was preserved…

Read More

A suspect surrendered to police and confessed he had killed his wife in a domestic fight in a village in Mau Narok, Nakuru County. He told police that after he had killed his wife, identified as Risper Chepkurui, 24, in their rental house in Tipis Town, Mau Narok, he went to his home in Kihingo area to hide there. He informed his mother of the incident, and after consultation, the suspect was advised to surrender himself at Ndeffo police station, where he was subsequently re-arrested. Police said they would process him for murder charges. The motive of the murder was…

Read More

Detectives are pursuing a gang that robbed a Chinese national of her Sh1.4 million moments after she had withdrawn the same from a bank in Kitengela, Kajiado County. The woman told police she had withdrawn the cash from Equity Bank in Kitengela and asked for a taxi to take her to the Lukenya area in Machakos when the incident happened on September 29, 2025. As the woman rode in the taxi with the cash, a salon car blocked the driver near the Shalom interchange area, and two occupants who alighted told him they were police officers. The attackers, who were…

Read More

A 17-year-old herder was shot and killed in an attack by cattle raiders in the Marti area, Samburu County. Three other herders were shot and wounded in the September 29, 2025 evening attack, police said. The raiders escaped with an unknown number of livestock after the raid prompting an operation from multi-agencies. Police said the injured were rushed to the hospital in a stable condition. The pursuit for the attackers continued on Wednesday amid reports they had crossed to their holding ground. This is the latest such attack in the area amid ongoing operations to address the menace of cattle…

Read More

South Africa’s ambassador to France, formerly a long-serving cabinet minister, was found dead on Tuesday outside a Paris hotel after the window of his room in the high-rise building was forced open, prosecutors said. Nkosinathi Emmanuel Nathi Mthethwa, 58, usually known as Nathi Mthethwa, had “reserved a room on the 22nd floor whose secured window had been forced open”, the office of the Paris prosecutor told AFP. The body of Mthethwa, a close associate of former South African president Jacob Zuma, was found “directly by the hotel”, it added. A source close to the case, who asked not to be named,…

Read More

At a time when most people use keyboards to write, does handwriting really matter? Yes, say Indian courts, if the writer is a doctor. Jokes around the notoriously bad handwriting of many doctors that can only be deciphered by pharmacists are common in India, as around the world. But the latest order emphasising the importance of clear handwriting came recently from the Punjab and Haryana High Court which said that “legible medical prescription is a fundamental right” as it can make a difference between life and death. The court order came in a case that had nothing to do with…

Read More

Liverpool suffered their second successive defeat as Galatasaray inflicted a Champions League loss on a thunderous night in Istanbul. Head coach Arne Slot left talisman Mohamed Salah on the bench after Liverpool lost at Crystal Palace, but the Premier League champions failed to fire amid a constant cacophony of noise at RAMS Park. And, to add to Liverpool’s misery, goalkeeper Alisson went off injured in the second half after pulling off a superb save from Galatasaray striker Victor Osimhen. Osimhen gave Galatasaray the lead after 16 minutes when French referee Clement Turpin adjudged that Dominik Szoboszlai had fouled Baris Alper…

Read More

A sunscreen scandal in the world’s biggest skin cancer hotspot is continuing to grow, with 18 products now pulled from shelves in Australia over safety concerns. Analysis by a consumer advocacy group in June found several popular and expensive sunscreens did not provide the protection claimed by their makers. One product, Ultra Violette’s Lean Screen Skinscreen, is supposed to offer a skin protection factor (SPF) of 50+ but instead returned a result of SPF 4 and was voluntarily recalled in August. An investigation by the medicines regulator has now warned about 20 more sunscreens from other brands, which share the…

Read More

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni has told a flotilla sailing towards Gaza to stop, saying the latest attempt by activists to deliver aid risks derailing a US plan to end the war. More than 40 boats sailing in the Global Sumud Flotilla (GSF) have been accompanied by an Italian naval frigate, which Italian officials said would stop once the flotilla was 150 nautical miles (278km) from Gaza’s shoreline. Shortly after reaching that point on Wednesday, GSF said it was on “high alert” and that drone activity was “increasing” above the flotilla. Meloni said the US proposal had sparked “hope” of…

Read More

Cassie Ventura said she is worried for her safety and moved her family out of New York ahead of Sean “Diddy” Combs’ sentencing this week. “I am so scared that if he walks free, his first actions will be swift retribution towards me and others who spoke up,” the R&B singer, who is Combs’ ex-girlfriend, wrote in a victim impact statement. Her letter was submitted as part of the government’s sentencing recommendation for Combs, who was convicted in July on two counts of transporting for prostitution. Prosecutors have recommended an 11 year sentence for the disgraced hip-hop mogul, while the…

Read More

The Milimani Anti-Corruption Court placed on defence two former National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB) officials, a businessman, and two companies accused of defrauding the public through the sale of substandard fertilizer worth Sh209 million. The ruling, delivered after the prosecution successfully established a prima facie case, is a significant step in the fight against economic crimes by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and by extension, the Criminal Justice system. Those placed on defence include Joseph Kiplangat Ngetich, former NCPB Corporate Secretary John Mbaya Matiri, then-chair of the Business Development and Advisory Committee, businessman Josiah Kariuki Kimani, Fifty-One Capitals…

Read More

The High Court in Kibera will on October 22, 205 rule on whether a fresh psychiatric examination should be carried out on Kennedy Kalombotole, who is facing charges of killing patients at Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH). Kalombotole is accused of murdering patients at the referral facility, including one in Ward 7C in February and another in Ward 7B in July 2025. He remains in custody pending plea taking. On Tuesday, defence lawyers Cheruiyot, Ombegi and Kachapa challenged the mental assessment report filed in court, which found Kalombotole fit to plead. They argued that the document was superficial and failed to…

Read More

The U.S. Embassy in Kenya partnered with Kenyan scientists, police, and courts over the past four months to provide specialized training to prevent and respond to chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE) threats. Supported jointly by the Department of State’s Bureau of Arms Control and Nonproliferation, and the U.S. Embassy, these workshops underscore the shared U.S.–Kenya commitment to enhancing national and regional security. The training began in June with an intensive course on countering clandestine labs. U.S. experts worked with Kenyan law enforcement, forensic specialists, and CBRNE teams to identify hidden places where chemical, biological, or explosive materials might…

Read More