Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Australia sunscreen scandal grows as more products pulled off shelves

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterOctober 1, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    A sunscreen scandal in the world’s biggest skin cancer hotspot is continuing to grow, with 18 products now pulled from shelves in Australia over safety concerns.

    Analysis by a consumer advocacy group in June found several popular and expensive sunscreens did not provide the protection claimed by their makers.

    One product, Ultra Violette’s Lean Screen Skinscreen, is supposed to offer a skin protection factor (SPF) of 50+ but instead returned a result of SPF 4 and was voluntarily recalled in August.

    An investigation by the medicines regulator has now warned about 20 more sunscreens from other brands, which share the same base formula, and raised “significant concerns” about a testing laboratory.

    “The preliminary testing indicates that this base formulation is unlikely to have an SPF greater than 21,” the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) said in an update, adding that for some of the goods the SPF rating may be as low as four.

    The manufacturer of the base formula, Wild Child Laboratories Pty Ltd, has stopped making it as a result, the TGA said.

    Of the 21 products it named, eight have been recalled or manufacture stopped completely. The sale of another 10 products have been paused, and two more are being reviewed. One product named by the TGA is made in Australia but is not sold in the country.

    In a statement, Wild Child Laboratories boss Tom Curnow said the TGA had found no manufacturing issues at its facility.

    “The discrepancies reported in recent testing are part of a broader, industry-wide issue,” he said, adding that Wild Child had ceased working with PCR laboratories and had submitted its formulas for testing with other accredited, independent laboratories.

    Australia has the highest rate of skin cancers in the world – it is estimated that two out of three Australians will have at least one cut out in their lifetime – and it has some of the strictest sunscreen regulations globally.

    The scandal has caused a massive backlash from customers in the nation, but experts have warned it may also have global implications. Problems have been identified with both the manufacture of some sunscreens and the integrity of lab testing relied upon to prove their SPF claims.

    The TGA has previously said it is looking into “reviewing existing SPF testing requirements” which can be “highly subjective”, but in the update on Tuesday said it had significant concerns about testing undertaken by Princeton Consumer Research Corp (PCR Corp), a US lab.

    “The TGA is aware that many companies responsible for sunscreens manufactured using this base formulation relied on testing by PCR Corp to support their SPF claims.”

    It has now outlined its concerns about the laboratory to all companies using the problematic base formula. “The TGA has also written to PCR Corp regarding its concerns and has not received a response.”

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Australia Sunscreen
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Dozens of people abducted in attacks on villages in Nigeria, police say

    August 23, 2026

    Carney say Trump started trade war with fresh tarrifs ‘attack’

    August 23, 2026

    US military newspaper editor voices censorship fears after being fired

    August 23, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    (PICS) Erling Haaland Unveils New Short Hairstyle Ahead of Premier League Opener

    August 23, 2026

    Tabitha Mutinda Reacts After Appointment as WSPU Kenya Chairperson

    August 23, 2026

    18-Year-Old Suspect Arrested Over Murder of 84-Year-Old Woman in Trans Nzoia

    August 23, 2026

    Leading African Institutions, Entrepreneurs and Professionals to Be Honored in Nairobi

    August 23, 2026

    MPs Pledge Support for Expansion of Police Training Facilities Across Kenya

    August 23, 2026

    Technological Gaps, Smuggling and Cross-Border Crime Challenge Operations at Busia Border

    August 23, 2026

    27,330 Litres of Suspected Illicit Brews Destroyed in Kawangware Operation

    August 23, 2026

    Mudavadi Appoints Poppins Omwenga Miso as WSPU Kenya Executive Director

    August 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.