Detectives in Mlolongo, Machakos County, launched a manhunt for a 35-year-old man after his five-year-old son was found dead in a single-roomed house in Mlolongo Phase III.
The body of the boy was discovered on Tuesday afternoon after his mother went to the house to prepare food for her children.
The mother had separated from her husband about a month ago following a disagreement and had left with their two children, police said.
On August 16, the man reportedly contacted her and instructed her to return the children. She took them back to their father the same day.
On Tuesday at around 2pm, the woman received an SMS from her husband asking her to go to the house and cook for the children.
She arrived at about 4pm and found her two-year-old daughter crying at the gate. Upon entering the house, she found her son lying motionless on a mattress.
She attempted to contact her husband, but his phone had been switched off.
Police officers who visited the scene said they recovered a quarter-cup container containing suspected poison and vomit. The boy was also found with visible injuries on his legs.
The scene was processed by detectives before the body was moved to Saitoti Medical Hospital mortuary for preservation and further examination.
Police are treating the incident as murder and have launched a search for the boy’s father, who remained at large.
Investigations are underway to establish the circumstances surrounding the child’s death, including the source of the suspected poison and the nature of the injuries found on his body.
And a three-year-old child died after a fire broke out in a two-bedroom makuti house in Ganja La Simba village, Kinondo Location, Msambweni Sub-County, Kwale County.
The deceased, who was living with a disability, was among five children who had been left in the house when the fire started at about 9pm on Tuesday.
According to police, the children’s mother,, had left the five children in the house when the fire broke out.
Four of the children managed to escape from the burning house unhurt, but Bitoto was unable to get out and was trapped inside.
The child was subsequently found dead after being burnt in the fire.
The scene was processed and documented before the child’s body was removed to Msambweni County Referral Hospital mortuary, where it is being preserved pending a postmortem examination.
Police said the cause of the fire had not yet been established and investigations were underway.
Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

