Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Fugees rapper Pras Michel sentenced to 14 years in prison for illegal lobbying

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiNovember 21, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Fugees rapper Pras Michel sentenced to 14 years in prison for illegal lobbying
    Fugees rapper Pras Michel sentenced to 14 years in prison for illegal lobbying
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Ex-Fugees musician Prakazrel “Pras” Michel has been sentenced to 14 years in prison for using money to peddle influence in US politics.

    US prosecutors had recommended a life sentence for the Grammy Award winner after he was found guilty of corruption and other charges, including acting as an unregistered foreign agent and witness tampering, in April 2023.

    US District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly handed down the sentence in a Washington DC court on Thursday.
    Michel, 53, testified in his own defence during his trial but declined to address the court on Thursday, the Associated Press reported.

    His attorney said the sentence is “completely disproportionate to the offence” and that he will appeal.

    The musician, who was also found guilty of campaign finance violations and lying to banks, had been accused of bringing “secret, illegal, foreign influence to bear” between 2012 and 2017, spanning the time Barack Obama and Donald Trump were in the White House.

    US prosecutors said Michel received more than $100m (£80m) from Malaysian billionaire Jho Low that was used in two efforts to influence US politics. He was also convicted of lobbying on behalf of China’s government.

    Prosecutors said Michel “betrayed his country for money” and for nearly a decade he “sought to exploit and deceive” various entities in the US government, including the White House and FBI, as well as his own co-conspirators, according to court documents.

    “Michel lied unapologetically and unrelentingly to carry out his schemes,” prosecutors said. “His sentence should reflect the breadth and depth of his crimes, his indifference to the risks to his country, and the magnitude of his greed.”

    They had recommended a life sentence, in line with federal guidelines.
    The trial saw testimony from Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio, as well as former US Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

    Businessman Mr Low, who funnelled money to Michel, was accused of stealing about $4bn from Malaysia’s sovereign wealth fund during the infamous 1MDB scandal.

    The justice department reached an agreementwith the fugitive financier in June 2024 to return more than $100m (£79m) allegedly embezzled from Malaysia’s state-owned wealth fund.

    Michel was accused of helping to lobby officials in the first Trump administration to abandon their investigation into Mr Low’s part in it.

    Michel’s defence attorney, Peter Zeidenberg, told the BBC that he believed the verdict “was unsupported by the evidence” and the sentence “is completely disproportional to the facts alleged”, particularly when compared to Michel’s co-defendants in the case.

    “There simply is no justification for Mr Michel being singled out like this except for the penalty for opting for trial,” he said.

    Michel’s co-defendant Elliott Broidy was pardoned, George Higginbotham received three months in probation and Nicki Lum Davis received 24 months, Mr Zeidenberg said.

    He also noted that possible violations of Foreign Agents Registration Act (Fara) will no longer be prosecuted except where espionage is involved and that no espionage was alleged in Michel’s case.

    Shortly after taking office this year, Attorney General Pam Bondi issued a memorandum widely seen as narrowing the reach of Fara, which requires people who work in the US on behalf of foreign interests to regularly give the justice department information about those relationships and activities.

    The justice department would only prosecute “instances of alleged conduct similar to more traditional espionage by foreign government actors”, she wrote.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Judge who allowed FBI to search Washington Post reporter’s home rips into Justice Department

    February 22, 2026

    Secret Service will offer tailored suits to new protective detail agents

    February 22, 2026

    Mayweather, 48, out of retirement for fourth time

    February 22, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Ten-month old baby dies out of carbon dioxide suffocation in Subukia

    February 22, 2026

    Two miners drown in gold mining tunnel after heavy rains in Migori 

    February 22, 2026

    Two bodies with bullet wounds found in forest along Kilifi-Malindi highway

    February 22, 2026

    Man killed in altercation over Sh7,000 charcoal kilns debt in Isiolo

    February 22, 2026

    Gusii UDA leaders attack United Opposition ahead of regional tour

    February 22, 2026

    Oasis Healthcare partners with Shabana FC in Sh10 million medical deal

    February 22, 2026

    Journalism at the crossroads as firms close bureaus and shed staff — A Kenyan Perspective

    February 22, 2026

    Judge who allowed FBI to search Washington Post reporter’s home rips into Justice Department

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.