Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    NEWS

    Police officer killed in Homa Bay rally violence identified 

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterAugust 17, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    The Media Council of Kenya (MCK) has raised alarm over a growing wave of attacks against journalists covering political activities across the country, warning that the violence threatens press freedom and Kenya’s democracy ahead of the 2027 General Election. In a statement issued late Monday, the Council called on the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) and the Inspector General of Police to urgently investigate the attacks, arrest those responsible and ensure they are prosecuted. MCK said at least 18 journalists and two media drivers from different media houses had been assaulted and injured by politically funded goons over the past two months, with equipment destroyed, stolen or damaged. The latest incidents occurred on Sunday during the Linda Mwananchi rallies in Homa Bay, where at least eight journalists and two drivers were reportedly attacked. Among those affected were Mediamax journalists Francis Mwangi and Evans Okeyo, whose vehicle was burnt, while Standard Group journalists Sammy Omingo and Rodgers Ouso were physically assaulted. Agence France-Presse journalists Fred Ooko and Brian Ongoro were also attacked and had their cameras destroyed. KBC journalist Ken Odiwuor Mavienga was beaten and had his equipment stolen. Citizen TV journalist Kevin Fraji and his driver were also assaulted, while their vehicle was destroyed. The Homa Bay violence has attracted widespread condemnation, with political leaders warning that the attacks could signal an escalation of political intolerance as the country moves closer to the 2027 elections. MCK said the continued attacks, intimidation and apparent failure to prosecute perpetrators were creating a climate in which those targeting journalists were becoming increasingly emboldened. It warned that the situation was particularly dangerous because journalists play a critical role in providing voters with information and facilitating public debate during elections. The Council cited several other recent incidents as evidence of a worrying pattern. On August 12, Nation Media Group photojournalist Karim Rajan was attacked and injured near the Mombasa County Assembly while covering a gathering involving youth and human-rights representatives. On July 23, five journalists from Mt Elgon TV were attacked while covering a political aspirant in Kimilili, with one journalist seriously injured. During the Ol Kalou by-election, at least four journalists were also physically attacked and their equipment confiscated. The incidents come against a backdrop of repeated concerns over the safety of journalists covering politically charged events. In July, a K24 crew covering the Linda Mwananchi convoy in Keumbu, Kisii County, was attacked, leaving a journalist injured, a camera destroyed and a media vehicle extensively damaged. MCK has previously warned about attacks on journalists in Homa Bay. Its 2026 State of Media Freedom report documented Homa Bay as one of the counties that had emerged as a significant hotspot for press freedom violations. The Council said it had documented the latest cases and submitted them to the Inspector General of Police, the Independent Policing Oversight Authority and the ODPP for investigation and prosecution. It, however, expressed concern over what it described as limited progress in bringing perpetrators to account. According to the Council, attacks on journalists violate the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of expression and media freedom, as well as Kenya’s international obligations to protect journalists. The Homa Bay attacks have meanwhile intensified debate over the country’s preparedness for the 2027 elections. Presidential hopeful and former Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has questioned how the violence could have occurred without the knowledge of the country’s security leadership, while other political leaders have called for swift action against those responsible. For MCK, the issue goes beyond individual journalists who have been injured or lost equipment. The Council says failure to hold perpetrators accountable risks normalising violence against the press and could ultimately undermine the public’s right to information. It has therefore urged security agencies and prosecutors to work closely with affected journalists and media houses to bring those responsible to justice. With political temperatures already rising in different parts of the country, the Council’s warning underscores a growing concern: if journalists cannot safely cover political campaigns, Kenyans may struggle to access the independent information they need to make informed choices in 2027.
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The police officer attached to security operations during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay and who died after he was struck on the head by a stone thrown by a demonstrator has been identified.

    Police identified the deceased as Police Constable and driver Jimrichardson Onkundi.

    He was among two people killed in the chaos orchestrated by some local leaders using goons.

    The officer was returning from Homa Bay on Sunday night when he was hit by a stone on the right side of his head, near the ear.

    The impact caused the police vehicle he was driving, a government-owned Toyota D-Max to veer off the road and crash into a house.

    Onkundi was initially rushed to Jeneiro Hospital in Nyangeswo for treatment before being referred to Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital in Kisumu.

    He was pronounced dead on arrival at the Kisumu hospital shortly after midnight on Monday.

    His body was moved to Othoo Funeral Home, where it is being preserved pending a postmortem examination.

    His boss was seriously injured in the chaos.

    The officer had been deployed to provide security during the Linda Mwananchi rally in Homa Bay amid violent clashes involving demonstrators and security personnel.

    His death adds to the casualties reported following the violence that disrupted the political gathering and left dozens of people injured.

    Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident, including the circumstances under which the officer was struck and the subsequent crash.

    Officials at the Homa Bay County Teaching and Referral Hospital said a woman, identified as an Ugandan national, was taken to the facility after being run over by a vehicle but died while receiving treatment.

    This increased to two, the number of this killed and 46 those injured.

    Of the 46 injured, seven were reported to be in critical condition, while four sustained gunshot wounds during attacks on members of the Linda Mwananchi team as they made their way into Homa Bay Town from Sindo in Suba South.

    Most of the victims suffered deep panga cuts on various parts of their bodies.

    The injured were initially taken to the Homa Bay County Teaching and Referral Hospital for first aid before being transferred to private health facilities in the region for further treatment amid an ongoing nurses’ strike.

    The violence also left a trail of destruction, with at least six vehicles torched after armed youths barricaded the Homa Bay-Mbita road from Lala to Junction Kodoyo, apparently in an attempt to prevent the Linda Mwananchi team from accessing Homa Bay Town.

    Among the vehicles set ablaze was one belonging to Mediamax Network Limited, which was targeted as journalists covering the rally came under attack.

    A public address vehicle belonging to Bungoma Governor George Natembeya was also torched.

    K24 journalists Francis Mwangi and Evans Okeyo were among journalists attacked at around 7pm. Several pieces of media equipment were vandalised or stolen, while Mwangi sustained serious injuries and was taken to hospital.

    The torched vehicles were later towed to Homa Bay Police Station as investigations continued.

    The violence also spilled into religious premises, with armed youths invading the headquarters of the Seventh-day Adventist Church’s Lake Victoria Field in Lala village along the Homa Bay-Mbita road.

    The attackers damaged buildings and vehicles parked at the compound.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Homa Bay Jimrichardson Omkundi
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Donya defends Ruto as she courts Bonchari voters with empowerment drive

    August 17, 2026

    37 suspected gang members arrested in connection with Homa Bay chaos

    August 17, 2026

    Activist demands security recruitment audit, alleges nepotism in KDF intake

    August 17, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Bangladesh says PM will not visit India until Hasina is extradited

    August 17, 2026

    Zambia’s Hichilema leads presidential vote count

    August 17, 2026

    Ronaldo says ‘probably’ in last year of career

    August 17, 2026

    Donya defends Ruto as she courts Bonchari voters with empowerment drive

    August 17, 2026

    Trump envoy Kushner meets Netanyahu after Hamas talks on peace plan

    August 17, 2026

    37 suspected gang members arrested in connection with Homa Bay chaos

    August 17, 2026

    Jorrel Hato Siblings: Getting to Know Elgyn Hato

    August 17, 2026

    Tijjani Reijnders Siblings: Meet Syane and Eliano Reijnders

    August 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.