Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    COURT NEWS

    Supreme Court stops recovery of Sh1.5 billion in Ruaraka land saga

    Pinnah MokeiraBy Pinnah MokeiraAugust 20, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Three detained over Sh10 million theft from Safaricom Sacco bank account
    Three detained over Sh10 million theft from Safaricom Sacco bank account
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    The Supreme Court has temporarily stopped the recovery of Sh1.5 billion paid as compensation for land hosting Ruaraka High School and Drive-In Primary School, granting Huelands Limited and Afrison Export Import Limited a reprieve.

    The apex court on August 18, certified as urgent an application challenging a Court of Appeal decision that declared the compensation unlawful.

    A full bench led by Chief Justice Martha Koome issued interim orders barring the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC), the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) and the National Land Commission from taking steps to recover the money pending determination of the application.

    The court also prohibited any alteration of the land register relating to L.R. Nos. 7879/4, 7879/24 and 7879/25.

    The interim orders further stop any demolition or eviction from the disputed property and bar criminal prosecution of directors and officers of Huelands Limited and Afrison Export Import Limited in connection with the dispute, pending further directions by the Supreme Court.

    The court directed that the application be served on the respondents immediately and in any event by the close of business on August 18.

    The respondents have five days to file their responses, after which the applicants will have three days to file a reply.

    The matter will come up before the Deputy Registrar on August 28, for further directions.

    “Pending the hearing and determination of the Motion, there shall be an interim order staying the execution of the Judgment of the Court of Appeal dated 3rd July 2026 and consequential decretal orders, in the terms set out in prayers 3(a) to (d) of the Notice of Motion,” said the court.

    The dispute concerns approximately 13.5 acres of land on L.R. No. 7879/4, where Ruaraka High School and Drive-In Primary School stand.

    The Environment and Land Court had previously found that the land was public property, holding that it had been surrendered to the government as a condition for subdivision approval granted in 1982.

    The Court of Appeal on July 3, 2026, upheld the ELC decision, finding that the National Land Commission had no legal basis to compulsorily acquire the property and consequently declaring the Sh1.5 billion compensation paid to the private developers unlawful.

    Following the decision, the EACC welcomed the ruling and announced that it would pursue recovery of the funds.

    The anti-graft agency also said it would resubmit an inquiry file to the DPP for consideration of possible criminal charges against public officials and other individuals involved in the compensation process.

    Huelands Limited, however, moved to the Supreme Court seeking urgent intervention, arguing that the Court of Appeal judgment exposed the company and its directors to imminent enforcement and criminal proceedings.

     

    The company also argued that the death of its director, Francis Mburu Muigai, who it said controlled the day-to-day operations, had complicated the prospect of prosecuting surviving non-executive directors.

     

    ” Francis Mburu Muigai is now deceased and is no longer able to account for or respond to the allegations touching on the impugned transactions, rendering it irregular, unfair, and prejudicial for the 7th and 9th Respondents to threaten or pursue investigation, arrest, or prosecution against the surviving non-executive directors in his stead,” read the court document.

     

    Huelands further argued that the Court of Appeal had erred by accepting an implied or “de facto” surrender of the land to the government without requiring a formal instrument of surrender.

     

    “The Court of Appeal’s finding of a valid surrender of the suit portions, absent any formal instrument of surrender executed by the Petitioner/Applicant and Afrison Export Import Limited through their properly constituted organs, and absent due regard to the documentary record of title as required by section 97(1) of the Evidence Act, is inconsistent with the binding authority of this Honourable Court in Fanikiwa (supra), raises a weighty and substantial question of law as to the constitutional protection of registered private property under Article 40 of the Constitution, and demonstrates that the Petition of Appeal has high prospects of success, this Honourable Court having already pronounced itself in the Petitioner/Applicant’s favour on the governing principles of surrender in Fanikiwa (supra),” read the court document.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Ruaraka Land Saga
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Pinnah Mokeira

    Related Posts

    Two in Range Rover theft case linked to Dr Mutiso murder freed on bond

    August 20, 2026

    Sharon Otieno family seeks compensation after eight-year court battle in Obado murder trial

    August 18, 2026

    Obado seeks lenient sentence, citing age, health and lengthy trial

    August 18, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Supreme Court stops recovery of Sh1.5 billion in Ruaraka land saga

    August 20, 2026

    Maic Sema Siblings: Meet Ken Nlata Sema

    August 20, 2026

    Arbër Zeneli Siblings: All About Besfort Zeneli

    August 20, 2026

    Lucas Bergvall Siblings: Meet Rasmus and Theo Andreas Bergvall

    August 20, 2026

    Tobacco Bill: Traders Warn of Rising Costs and Illicit Trade

    August 20, 2026

    How to Check Sportscene Account Balance

    August 20, 2026

    How to Check Someone’s Location on WhatsApp

    August 20, 2026

    Benjamin Nygren Siblings: Get to Know Nellie and Ofelia Nygren

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.