Uhuru Issues Friday Ultimatum To Striking Nurses Or Risk Getting Fired

President Uhuru Kenyatta. / Courtesy

President Uhuru Kenyatta has ordered all striking nurses to return to work on Friday, 15 February before 8 am failure to which they risk losing their jobs.

Addressing the media from State House, the head of state demanded that those who do not show up to work on the said date should be axed; both by the County Government and the Ministry of Health.

He also ordered the police to take action against those who might try and block others from reporting to their work stations.

“As he Commander in Chief of the Kenya Defense Forces, I have instructed the National Police Service to take stern action against those picketers who may intimidate or harass the public servants who intend to go to work,” he said.

After holding a meeting with governors, the president who is keen on leaving a legacy also noted that in the 2017-2018 financial year alone County governments spent approximately 87.3% of their entire budgets on recurrent expenditure leaving only 12.7% for development.

Read: Governor Mike Sonko Announces Public Participation For Fiscal Strategy Paper

This, he noted, is not in accordance with the objectives of devolution under Article 174 of the constitution.

The president also maintained that while the constitution and various labour laws grant the right to picket and participate in strikes, they also provide for the process of determining public service remuneration by SRC whose advice has equally been disregarded by the striking nurses.

Services in several counties have been disrupted since February 4, 2019 when the caregivers downed their tools.

Email your news TIPS to or WhatsApp +254707482874. You can also find us on Telegram through

Email your news TIPS to or WhatsApp +254707482874

Written by Eva Nyambura

Content creator at | Passionate about telling the untold story. Lover of life, music and technology. Simplicity is KEY


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

jacque maribe

Citizen TV’s Jacque Maribe Pulls Down Engagement Photos

Four Street Urchins Still Missing Days After Being Dumped In Baringo Forest