Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Poverty Linked To Mother Poisoning Her Three Children Before Taking Her Own Life

    Damaris GatwiriBy Damaris GatwiriSeptember 13, 2023No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Poverty is suspected to be the driving force behind a mother’s decision to poison her three children before taking her own life.

    The tragedy unfolded in the early hours of Monday morning in Lusikisiki, in South Africa’s Eastern Cape province.

    According to provincial police spokesperson Colonel Priscilla Naidu, 41-year-old Veziwe Ntsizela allegedly woke up her four daughters, aged between four and 14, from their sleep and instructed them to join her for a prayer in another room, despite having slept with their grandmother.

    Instead of prayer, the children were reportedly taken to a forest in the Luzuphu locality, where they were forced to consume life-threatening pills. Naidu revealed that the 14-year-old daughter managed to resist and escape.

    “The child sought help from a nearby homestead, and police were notified. The bodies of the three children were found, however, the mother was missing,” Naidu said.

    On the following Tuesday morning, the mother’s lifeless body was discovered in dense bushes by the Grahamstown Search and Rescue Unit. It was less than 100 meters from where her children had perished.

    Also Read: ‘Flight risk’ Nandipha Magudumana Denied Bail

    The victims were identified as Iyapha Ntsizela, 4, Phila Ntsizela, 8, and 12-year-old Inga Ntsizela. The police are currently investigating three counts of murder and an inquest.

    Preliminary investigations indicate that poverty may have played a significant role in this tragic event, according to Naidu.

    Unfortunately, this is not the first such incident to occur in the Eastern Cape. Just last month in Butterworth, another mother poisoned and killed her three children.

    Lieutenant General Nomthetheleli Mene, the Provincial Commissioner, expressed deep concern over the situation. “If the motive was allegedly driven by poverty, this raises a profound concern about the struggles that some members of our community face daily,” she stated.

    Mene emphasized the importance of reaching out to those in need, offering support, and fostering a sense of community. “Poverty should never drive anyone to such a desperate and tragic act, and our hearts go out to the family and friends of the victims,” she added.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Damaris Gatwiri

    Damaris Gatwiri is a digital journalist, driven by a profound passion for technology, health, and fashion.

    Related Posts

    Trump directs US government to prepare release of files on aliens and UFOs

    February 20, 2026

    Single vaccine could protect against all coughs, colds and flus, researchers say

    February 20, 2026

    Nasa boss says Boeing Starliner failure one of worst in its history

    February 20, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    CS Kagwe Flags Low Budget Allocation for Agriculture Sector

    February 20, 2026

    National Assembly Orders TSC to Release Withheld Student Certificates

    February 20, 2026

    MPs Raise Alarm Over Rising Debts in Public Universities

    February 20, 2026

    Sh17.2 Billion Funding Shortfall Threatens Services in Kenya’s ASAL Regions

    February 20, 2026

    Budget Review Highlights Funding Gaps for Key Turkana Oil Projects

    February 20, 2026

    Controller of Budget Seeks Sh603 Million Top-Up

    February 20, 2026

    National Assembly Rejects Sports Ministry Bid to Increase AFCON Hosting Budget

    February 20, 2026

    State and private sector seal deal on event security

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.