Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Mistrial declared on rape charge in Weinstein case after juror won’t return to jury room

    Oki Bin OkiBy Oki Bin OkiJune 12, 2025No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Mistrial declared on rape charge in Weinstein case after juror won't return to jury room
    Mistrial declared on rape charge in Weinstein case after juror won't return to jury room
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    A New York judge declared a mistrial on a rape charge in Harvey Weinstein’s sex crimes trial after one juror refused to continue deliberations over an alleged attack in 2013 on actress Jessica Mann.

    The jury had found Weinstein guilty of one count of sexual assault and not guilty of another count on Wednesday, but kept deliberating about a final rape charge.

    Thursday’s mistrial comes after Weinstein’s earlier sex crimes conviction in the state was overturned last year, leading to new charges last September.

    A panel of seven female and five male jurors deliberated for six days in the six-week trial before one juror declined to continue discussions.

    Jury deliberations in the trial were plagued with tensions. The jury foreperson brought concerns to the judge earlier this week, saying jurors were “attacking” one another and trying to change his mind.

    On Wednesday, he brought more complaints to the judge, indicating that “at least one other juror made comments to the effect of ‘I’ll meet you outside one day,’ and there’s yelling and screaming”, Judge Curtis Farber told the court.

    On Thursday, the foreperson said he would not go back to the jury room to deliberate because he was afraid of others yelling at him, so the judge declared a mistrial on the last rape charge.

    “Sometimes jury deliberations become heated. I understand this particular deliberation was more needed than some others,” Judge Farber told the 12-person jury, according to US media.

    In a statement, a Weinstein spokesperson said his team believed the conviction would be “set aside” due to “gross juror misconduct”.

    “8 years, dozens of accusers, three trials, one conviction,” spokesperson Juda Engelmayer said. “Harvey is disappointed in the single verdict, but hasn’t loss faith or the heart to continue fighting to clear his name.”

    An appeals court overturned Weinstein’s previous conviction for sex crimes in New York last April, finding the 73-year-old did not receive a fair trial in 2020 because a judge allowed testimony from women who made allegations against him beyond the charges at hand.

    The 2025 trial was based on the testimony of three women – former television production assistant Miriam Haley, actress Jessica Mann, and Polish model Kaja Sokola. All three accused Weinstein of using his power in the entertainment industry to sexually abuse them. Ms Haley and Ms Mann both testified in the first trial against Weinstein, when he was found guilty.

    This time, the jury found Weinstein guilty of sexually assaulting Ms Haley, but acquitted him of assaulting Ms Sokola. The mistrial was declared on the rape charge brought by Ms Mann.

    The latest conviction is in addition to a 16-year sentence that Weinstein has yet to serve after being convicted of sex crimes in Los Angeles.

    Jury deliberations proved tense last week as well, when one juror said others were “shunning” one member of the panel, calling it “playground stuff”.

    The foreperson also claimed jurors were considering Weinstein’s past and other allegations outside the realm of the case in making decisions.

    This led the judge to give the jury an instruction about only considering the allegations in the case, and nothing else.

    Weinstein – who has cancer and diabetes – stayed at Bellevue Hospital rather than Riker’s Island jail during the trial. He sat in a wheelchair for the proceedings.

    In total, Weinstein has been accused of sexual misconduct, assault and rape by more than 100 women. While not all reports resulted in criminal charges, the California conviction means he is likely to spend the rest of his life in prison.

    Weinstein and his brother Bob were among the most major figures in Hollywood, founding Miramax film studio, whose hits included Shakespeare in Love, which won best picture at the Academy Awards, and Pulp Fiction.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Oki Bin Oki

    Related Posts

    Pakistan launches strikes on Afghanistan, with Taliban saying dozens killed

    February 22, 2026

    Judge who allowed FBI to search Washington Post reporter’s home rips into Justice Department

    February 22, 2026

    Secret Service will offer tailored suits to new protective detail agents

    February 22, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Gilberto Santa Rosa Net Worth

    February 22, 2026

    What was Willie Colón Net Worth when he Died?

    February 22, 2026

    What is Emmy Rossum Net Worth?

    February 22, 2026

    What is Tom Hanks Net Worth?

    February 22, 2026

    Sifuna claims their flight details were illegally leaked, endangering them

    February 22, 2026

    Kenya Airways cancels New York flights over blizzard warning

    February 22, 2026

    Gospel artist Jimmy Gait attacked by thugs in Runda, Nairobi

    February 22, 2026

    No room for chaos, Murkomen says

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.