Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    HEALTH

    Kenya Intensifies Ebola Preparedness as Regional Outbreak Raises Alarm

    David WafulaBy David WafulaMay 20, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    CS Duale Issues Tough New Orders On Clinical Officers' Licensing
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Kenya has intensified nationwide Ebola preparedness and surveillance measures following a deadly outbreak of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in parts of Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the Ministry of Health has announced.

    In a statement, Health Cabinet Secretary Aden Duale assured Kenyans that no Ebola case linked to the current outbreak has been reported in the country, but warned that the regional situation remains concerning due to increased cross-border movement and trade connections.

    “I wish to reassure all Kenyans that, as of today, Kenya has not reported any Ebola Virus Disease case linked to the current outbreak,” Duale said in the statement.

    The Ministry said the current outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which is affecting parts of Uganda and the DRC.

    According to the statement, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern on May 16, while the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) classified it as a Public Health Emergency of Continental Security.

    “The outbreak has been classified by Africa CDC as a Grade 3 – High Risk event due to confirmed cross-border transmission, delayed outbreak detection, high regional mobility, and the absence of licensed vaccines or approved therapeutics for the Bundibugyo strain,” the statement read.

    The Ministry revealed that, as of May 18, more than 336 alerts and suspected cases were under investigation in the DRC, while 87 deaths had been reported, including two in Uganda. At least four healthcare workers are among the reported cases.

    The government said it has activated a robust national preparedness framework through the Kenya National Public Health Institute (KNPHI), including rapid response teams, emergency operations centres, and enhanced surveillance systems across counties and border points.

    “Kenya has significantly intensified national preparedness measures aimed at preventing importation of the disease, ensuring rapid detection, and mounting a coordinated response should any case be identified in the country,” Duale said.

    The Ministry further disclosed that more than 34,500 travellers had already undergone screening at airports, seaports, and land border crossings. These include international travellers, truck drivers, local travellers, and conveyance crews.

    “There is currently no blanket quarantine for truck drivers or travellers, but enhanced risk-based screening and monitoring measures are in place in line with International Health Regulations and WHO guidance,” the statement noted.

    Additional measures announced by the Ministry include deployment of an online passenger surveillance system, population mobility mapping in high-risk border regions, enhanced airport surveillance through the Kenya Civil Aviation Authority, and strengthened coordination with Uganda, DRC, WHO, East African Community, and Africa CDC.

    The government has also strengthened laboratory preparedness through designated testing facilities at KEMRI Nairobi, KEMRI Kisumu, the National Public Health Laboratory, and mobile laboratory platforms.

    On public awareness, the Ministry urged Kenyans to remain calm while adhering to preventive measures, including frequent handwashing, avoiding contact with sick persons or bodily fluids, and seeking immediate medical attention if symptoms arise after travel to affected regions.

    “We are equally prioritizing risk communication and community engagement to ensure the public receives accurate and timely information,” the Ministry said.

    Members of the public can access Ebola information and public health messages by dialing *719# or calling 719.

    Duale said the government would continue monitoring the regional situation closely while working with international and regional partners to prevent the disease from spreading into the country.

    “We wish to assure the country that Kenya has significantly strengthened its preparedness systems over the years and remains better positioned to prevent importation, rapidly detect suspected cases, and respond effectively to any potential outbreak,” he said.

     

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    David Wafula

    Related Posts

    Teachers, Govt Reach Deal on Medical Scheme, Avert Strike

    April 28, 2026

    Beyond the Court: FED Fitness Joins Forces with the Houston Rockets as Official Partner

    April 26, 2026

    Amaranth Guide: Seeds, Grain, Plant  and Uses

    April 7, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Kenya Intensifies Ebola Preparedness as Regional Outbreak Raises Alarm

    May 20, 2026

    Three Kenyan youths arrested in Tanzania while headed for Mozambique to join ISIS group

    May 20, 2026

    Man dies in fire incident in Kirinyaga

    May 20, 2026

    Andrea Mitchell Net Worth and Salary

    May 20, 2026

    Jen Psaki Net Worth and Salary

    May 20, 2026

    Dana Perino Net Worth and Salary

    May 20, 2026

    Judge Jeanine Pirro Net Worth and Salary

    May 20, 2026

    Kimberly Guilfoyle Net Worth and Salary

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.