Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    WORLD NEWS

    Mercenary and coup plotter Simon Mann dies

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterMay 10, 2025No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Former British Army officer and mercenary Simon Mann, who was part of a coup attempt in Equatorial Guinea in 2004, has died of a heart attack while exercising, friends confirmed.

    The 72-year-old made millions of pounds from protecting businesses in conflict zones before he took part in the failed attempt to overthrow the west African nation’s ruler.

    Mann was sentenced to 34 years in prison on arms charges and later said he had been the “manager, not the architect” of the scheme.

    In 2009, the ex-SAS commando was pardoned, released and given 48 hours to leave the country.

    The plot had been an attempt to overthrow President Teodoro Obiang Nguema – at the time Mann and co-conspirators said the aim was to install exiled opposition leader Severo Moto.

    It was uncovered after police in Zimbabwe’s capital Harare impounded a plane which had flown in from South Africa.

    Mann and more than 60 others were arrested, amid claims they were mercenaries.

    They said they were providing security for a mine in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

    Mann attended private boys’ school Eton before studying at Sandhurst Royal Military Academy and then joining the Scots Guards.

    He became a member of the SAS – the army’s special forces unit – and rose through the ranks to become a commander.

    In 2011, he said the attempted coup in Equatorial Guinea – which saw him arrested with fellow mercenaries after trying to load weapons onto a plane in Zimbabwe – was foiled by the CIA.

    After serving three years of his 34-year sentence in Zimbabwe, he was moved to Black Beach Prison in Equatorial Guinea.

    Speaking in 2011 about that move, he said “friends, family, and enemies” had told him “if that happens, you have had it, you’re a dead man”.

    After being pardoned and released, he expressed regret for what he had done, saying that “however good the money is”, the moral case “has to stack up”.

    By BBC News

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Simon Mann
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Trump directs US government to prepare release of files on aliens and UFOs

    February 20, 2026

    Single vaccine could protect against all coughs, colds and flus, researchers say

    February 20, 2026

    Nasa boss says Boeing Starliner failure one of worst in its history

    February 20, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    What is Neil Gorsuch Net Worth?

    February 20, 2026

    What is Elena Kagan Net Worth?

    February 20, 2026

    What Was Nipsey Hussle Net Worth at his Time of Death?

    February 20, 2026

    What is Eric Holder Net Worth?

    February 20, 2026

    What is William Barr Net Worth?

    February 20, 2026

    What is Jeff Sessions Net Worth?

    February 20, 2026

    What is Lindsey Graham Net Worth?

    February 20, 2026

    Trump directs US government to prepare release of files on aliens and UFOs

    February 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.