Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    NEWS

    Ruto Directs Further Sh10 Diesel Price Cut

    David WafulaBy David WafulaMay 22, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Ruto
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    President William Ruto has directed a further reduction of Sh10 per litre in the price of diesel for the June–July fuel pricing cycle, in the latest government intervention aimed at easing pressure on consumers amid rising fuel costs and nationwide protests.

    Speaking at State House in Mombasa on Friday, May 22, 2026, the Head of State said the government had intensified measures to stabilise fuel prices, noting that billions of shillings have already been spent through subsidies and tax adjustments.

    “I have further directed that in the next pricing cycle, we are going to reduce the price of diesel by a further Sh10 for the June–July cycle to help stabilise pump prices and provide additional relief to consumers,” Ruto said after consultations with transport sector stakeholders.

    This means that diesel will retail at Sh222.92 in Nairobi from June 15.

    The President said the government has already invested Sh28.19 billion in fuel price stabilisation through direct subsidies and tax relief measures, adding that ongoing interventions have helped cushion the economy from global shocks.

    He also defended the government-to-government (G2G) fuel procurement arrangement, saying it has ensured consistent supply and helped stabilise prices in the country.

    Ruto, however, maintained that the government cannot fully remove taxes on petroleum products, arguing that the revenue supports critical sectors including health, education, and infrastructure development.

    He also urged increased adoption of electric vehicles as part of long-term solutions to rising fuel costs.

    The announcement comes days after Public Transport Sector stakeholders suspended a nationwide strike that had paralysed transport services for two days, following high-level talks at Harambee House led by Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen and Energy Cabinet Secretary Opiyo Wandayi.

    The talks, which also involved other senior officials, resulted in a one-week suspension of the strike to allow further negotiations.

    At least four people were reported killed and property destroyed during earlier protests linked to the fuel price hikes.

    Murkomen said the government and transport stakeholders had agreed to continue negotiations within a week, adding that normal transport operations should be maintained during the talks.

    Deputy President Kithure Kindiki, meanwhile, defended the government’s response to the crisis, attributing the spike in global fuel prices to geopolitical tensions, including the US-Israel-Iran conflict, which he said has disrupted supply chains and increased shipping and insurance costs.

    He said the government had already reduced VAT on fuel from 16 per cent and spent about Sh12 billion in the last two months to cushion consumers through subsidies, with further interventions expected.

    “The government remains committed to cushioning Kenyans from this crisis while ensuring long-term stability in fuel pricing,” Kindiki said, adding that further subsidies would be applied where necessary.

    He also defended the continued taxation of fuel, saying it is necessary to fund road construction, maintenance, and other public services such as education and health.

    At the same time, Kindiki condemned incidents of violence and destruction witnessed during protests, warning that criminal acts such as looting, arson, and armed robbery would be dealt with firmly.

    “The use of violence, arson and destruction of property threatens national interests and will not be tolerated,” he said.

    The matatu operators said there will be no strike next week. They said the strike is officially called off.

    Legal pressure on the government has also intensified after the Law Society of Kenya (LSK) filed a petition in the High Court in Nyamira challenging the recent fuel price increases.

    LSK argues that the increments were unconstitutional, lacked sufficient public participation, and have imposed severe economic hardship on citizens.

    The petition also raises concerns over transparency in the use of the Petroleum Development Levy (PDL) stabilization fund and challenges a temporary waiver on sulphur limits in fuel imports, which it says poses environmental and health risks.

    LSK is seeking orders suspending the new fuel prices, compelling full disclosure of the fuel pricing formula and subsidy allocations, and halting implementation of the sulphur waiver pending public participation and environmental review.

     

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    David Wafula

    Related Posts

    Ruto Directs NTSA to Allow Matatu Graffiti After Court Upheld Ban on PSV

    May 22, 2026

    Ruto Orders Review of Insurance and Auctioneers Laws

    May 22, 2026

    Relief for Transport Operators as Ruto Announces Wide-Ranging Measures to Ease Sector Pressure

    May 22, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Ruto Directs NTSA to Allow Matatu Graffiti After Court Upheld Ban on PSV

    May 22, 2026

    Ruto Orders Review of Insurance and Auctioneers Laws

    May 22, 2026

    Relief for Transport Operators as Ruto Announces Wide-Ranging Measures to Ease Sector Pressure

    May 22, 2026

    Two killed in night attack in Tharaka Nithi

    May 22, 2026

    Matatu Operators Call Off Strike After Talks With Ruto

    May 22, 2026

    Ruto Directs Further Sh10 Diesel Price Cut

    May 22, 2026

    Court declines to certify as urgent suit on Sh3 billion Bungoma ghost workers

    May 22, 2026

    Suspect dies by suicide in police cell in Kiambu

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.