Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    EAST AFRICA

    Tanzania suspends newspaper after report alleging gov’t divisions

    KahawaTungu ReporterBy KahawaTungu ReporterAugust 20, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Tanzania has suspended a weekly newspaper for six months over alleged breaches of media law, the information ministry said Wednesday, after the outlet published a story alleging government divisions.

    International observers have warned of narrowing civil and political rights in the country, which last year saw hundreds massacred during election unrest.

    The suspension of Mwanahalisi — a newspaper long critical of the government — takes effect immediately and covers both the newspaper’s print and electronic editions, the Information Services Department said in a Swahili statement.

    Authorities said it followed the publication of a story earlier this month alleging Tanzania’s vice-president Emmanuel Nchimbi was unwilling to step down from his position following pressure from the ruling party.

    Quoting anonymous sources, the paper alleged the vice-president had disagreed with President Samia Suluhu Hassan.

    Authorities said the report lacked balance and verification, noting Nchimbi had not been interviewed and claims attributed to the country’s information minister were not independently confirmed.

    “The Director of Information Services determined that the newspaper should receive a more severe penalty than the previous one,” the statement said.

    Earlier this year, the outlet was issued a warning after publishing a story loosely translated as: “When will the 2021 Samia meet the 2026 Samia?”

    Hassan became president following the death of authoritarian leader John Magufuli in March 2021 and was initially praised for easing restrictions on the opposition and media.

    Authorities also cited an error over a photograph of the information minister captioned as Nchimbi.

    Under Tanzania’s Media Services Act, the newspaper has 30 days to appeal the decision.

    The government added that it had summoned another newspaper, Jamvi la Habari, to explain recent stories that may have breached regulations.

    Mwanahalisi was among four newspapers permitted to resume publishing in February 2022 after having been banned under Magufuli.

    Tanzania ranks 117th out of 180 countries in press freedom, according to media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF).

    By Agencies

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    KahawaTungu Reporter
    • Website

    Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    JKUAT Invites Suppliers and Contractors to Register for 2026-2029

    August 11, 2026

    Nation Media Group resumes operations in Uganda after military ordered shutdown

    July 28, 2026

    Tanzanian lecturer arrested over anti-government protests charged with terrorism

    July 25, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Two in Range Rover theft case linked to Dr Mutiso murder freed on bond

    August 20, 2026

    Tanzania suspends newspaper after report alleging gov’t divisions

    August 20, 2026

    Sandra Felis, Kyumbe Munguti lead star-studded field as over 5,000 runners gear up for Belgut Half Marathon

    August 20, 2026

    Construction wall collapses, kills casual worker in Nairobi

    August 20, 2026

    House help found dead in Nairobi apartment in suspected suicide

    August 20, 2026

    ‘I was born in South Africa’, says beauty queen facing legal bid to deport her

    August 20, 2026

    Trump threatens ‘tremendous economic consequences’ on any country helping Iran

    August 20, 2026

    Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK

    August 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.