Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    NEWS

    Two Want IEBC Barred from Clearing Sonko to Vie for Mombasa Governor Seat

    Eva NyamburaBy Eva NyamburaApril 25, 2022No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Two people have filed a petition seeking orders barring the Independent and Electoral and Boundary Commission (IEBC) from clearing Mike Sonko from running for governor of Mombasa.

    Ndoro Kaguya and George Odhiambo on Monday petitioned the Mombasa High Court for conservatory orders preventing the IEBC from approving Sonko to run for governor on a Wiper ticket.

    They asked the court to pump the brakes on the electoral commission’s approval of Sonko’s candidacy before April 28.

    “Pending the hearing and determination of this application, there be issued a conservatory order of injunction to restrain the IEBC from accepting the nomination of Sonko to contest and vie for the office of the Governor of Mombasa County,” said Kaguya.

    Read: Mike Sonko To Vie for Mombasa Governor Seat on Wiper Ticket

    The petitioners stated that notwithstanding Sonko’s disqualification, the Kalonzo Musyoka-led outfit nominated him for the Mombasa governorship on April 21.

    “By nominating Sonko to vie for and be elected into the office of the Governor of Mombasa County, Wiper Democratic Movement contravened and violated Article 75(3) of the Constitution,” added the petitioners.

    The petitioners told the court that Sonko was impeached and removed from the office of Nairobi City County Governor on December 17, 2020 for breaking and contravening Article 75(1) (c) of the Constitution because he acted in a manner that degraded the office of county governor, which he held at the time.

    By virtue of Article 75(3) of the Constitution, Kaguya said, the former senator was barred from holding any other State office, including that of Governor of Mombasa County.

    Read Also: Ex-Governor Sonko, Immediate Family Banned from US Travel Over Graft

    Kaguya stated in an affidavit that the respondent’s impeachment was supported by the High Court of Kenya and the Court of Appeal because it was lawful and procedurally fair.

    The temporary conservatory orders, he added, will protect Mombasa voters and the general public from being duped into believing Sonko was qualified and capable of running for and being elected to the office of the governor.

    Wiper unveiled Sonko as its gubernatorial candidate in the coastal city last week.

    The former legislator’s running mate will be Kisauni MP Ali Mbogo.

    Read Also: Sonko Barred from Further Publishing Defamatory Video, Audio Against Governor Kananu

    “Our consensus efforts continue to bear fruit. The National Elections Board is very pleased to announce that  Mike Sonko and Hon Ali Mboga have agreed to work together to deliver Mombasa County Governorship,” the party said, as Kalonzo exuded confidence in its line up.

    Sonko, if cleared by the Wafula Chebukati-led commission, will go up against ODM’s Abdulswamad Nassir and UDA’s Hassan Omar.

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@kahawatungu.com or WhatsApp +254707482874. You can also find us on Telegram through www.t.me/kahawatungu

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    George Odhiambo iebc Mike Sonko Mombasa Governor Ndoro Kaguya wiper party
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Eva Nyambura
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • X (Twitter)

    Content creator at Kahawatungu.com | Passionate about telling the untold story. Lover of life, music and technology. Simplicity is KEY Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    UDA suspends grassroots meetings in Gusii ahead of opposition tour

    February 22, 2026

    DCI probes killing of man during ODM faction in Mbale, Vihiga County

    February 22, 2026

    MP Karauri declares Nairobi governor bid as 2027 race heats up

    February 22, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Mexico’s most wanted drug lord ‘El Mencho’ killed in military operation

    February 22, 2026

    NFL wide receiver Rondale Moore found dead at 25

    February 22, 2026

    UDA suspends grassroots meetings in Gusii ahead of opposition tour

    February 22, 2026

    TSA says PreCheck and Global Entry programs ‘operational’ after DHS suspension, sparking confusion

    February 22, 2026

    DCI probes killing of man during ODM faction in Mbale, Vihiga County

    February 22, 2026

    Armed man shot and killed after entering secure perimeter of Mar-a-Lago, Secret Service says

    February 22, 2026

    MP Karauri declares Nairobi governor bid as 2027 race heats up

    February 22, 2026

    Demand Rises for Certified Online Qur’an Teachers

    February 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.