Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    Button
    • NEWS
    • BUSINESS
    • KNOW YOUR CELEBRITY
    • POLITICS
    • TECHNOLOGY
    • SPORTS
    • HOW-TO
    • WORLD NEWS
    KahawatunguKahawatungu
    EAST AFRICA

    Five Uganda Media Houses Risk Having Licenses Revoked For Covering Bobi Wine’s Rallies

    Mercy AumaBy Mercy AumaOctober 9, 2019No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter WhatsApp Telegram Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Five media houses in Uganda could be closed by the government and their licenses revoked for covering political rallies staged by Kyadondo East MP Robert Kyagulanyi Ssentamu popularly known as Bobi Wine.

    The media Houses including NTV, NBS, BBS, Bukedde TV and Radio Sapientia were allegedly found guilty by the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) of breaching the minimum standards required in broadcasting.

    According to a report by the Communications Commission released on Monday, the total number of broadcasters under investigations were 13 and went against section 31 and schedule 4 of the Uganda Communications Act 2013.

    Read: Uganda Orders Suspension Of 3 NBS TV Staffers Who Aired Bobi Wine’s Protests

    “The directive to order individual producers, editors and heads of news to step aside was never intended to stifle any particular person’s right. This was a purely administrative measure that the commission, in exercise of its broad investigative mandate under the Uganda Communications Act, deemed necessary for purposes of protecting the public against the potential continued risk of harmful content produced, edited and presented to the public by the same individuals that were subject of the investigations,” read part of the report.
    Bobi Wine has been engaged in a cat and mouse game with the state, not backing down on his ambitions of ousting Yoweri Museveni who has ruled the country for over three decades.
    He has been arrested, released and re-arrested again on several occasions, as the government struggles to have him tamed.
    Earlier today, the defiant musician cum politician faulted the government for threatening the media houses that covered his protests, terming the move unjust and dictatorial.
    “For carrying a live coverage of police brutality against me and my supporters, Ugandan media houses NTV, NBS, BBS, Bukedde TV and Radio Sapientia have been threatened with a revocation of their licenses” said Bobi Wine.
    Read Also: Uganda Radio Stations Warned Against Hosting Kizza Besigye
    In April this year, Uganda radio stations were warned against hosting the members of the opposition including Dr Kizza Besigye.
    Speaking on the matter, the chairperson of Lango Radio Owners Association Mr JB Okello Okello noted that several radio station managers had been warned against hosting authorities from the opposition party.
    “They (authorities) did not make any formal communication to the radio stations but there have been a lot of threats from the security that no radio station should host Dr Besigye.” said Okello.
    Email your news TIPS to Editor@kahawatungu.com or WhatsApp +254707482874. You can also find us on Telegram through www.t.me/kahawatungu

    Email your news TIPS to Editor@Kahawatungu.com — this is our only official communication channel

    Bobi Wine Uganda Yoweri Museveni
    Follow on Facebook Follow on X (Twitter)
    Share. Facebook Twitter WhatsApp LinkedIn Telegram Email
    Mercy Auma
    • X (Twitter)

    Passionate about human interest stories and politics. Email: Editor@Kahawatungu.com

    Related Posts

    Ethiopian woman’s joy at rare quintuplets after 12 years trying for a baby

    May 8, 2026

    ACT Wazalendo Rejects Chande Commission Report, Calls for Sweeping Reforms

    May 5, 2026

    14 including two Kenyans killed after plane crashes in Juba

    April 27, 2026

    Comments are closed.

    Latest Posts

    Afshan Azad Net Worth

    May 18, 2026

    Katie Leung Net Worth

    May 18, 2026

    Alec Baldwin hits back at Elon Musk for criticizing Lupita Nyong’o’s looks amid ‘The Odyssey’ casting

    May 18, 2026

    How worrying is the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo?

    May 18, 2026

    Trump’s White House ballroom loses federal funding proposed by Senate Republicans

    May 18, 2026

    Swatch stores close for second day after crowds

    May 18, 2026

    Female suspect in Sh56 million fake gold scam on an American arrested in Kilimani, Nairobi

    May 17, 2026

    Evans Kidero Urges Luo Unity Behind William Ruto, Defends Winnie Odinga Remarks on John Mbadi

    May 17, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
    © 2026 Kahawatungu.com. Designed by Okii.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.